Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Preparing for Mostly natural birth?

Posted by   + Show Post

Im 22 and 12 wks 6 days pregnant today due November 11.

I want to try for as much of a natural birth as possible but every one around is saying get the Epidural. I don't wanna be stuck in a bed and have to have someone tell me when Im having a contraction and to push. I wanna be involved.

My husband isn't the most sensitive person and im afraid he won't be able to support me the way I need it. My mom and MIL are all for the epi and I just feel as though I will have accomplished so much if im strong enough to make it through a natural birth.

How do I prepare myself when birthing in a hospital with a lack of support?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM
A doula would be to your serious benefit. The bradley method would be good to look into. Hubby needs to get educated. I dont suggest having anyone who is pro interventions in the room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM
You can find doulas in training on craigslist for free

Quoting _Crazy_Beauty:

Thank you! Im pretty sure that a Doula is out of the question but I do think my husband wants to go to the birthing classes with me. He just doesn't understand why i would want the pain if I don't have too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
olivejuice2
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Any book by Ina May Gaskin- especially Ina May's Guide to Childbirth for you and DH. For your mom and other friends and family, Birth Matters- A Midwife's Manifesta.

I only read about 1/2 of the second book (or less) before I felt very validated in my desire to go all natural. I read both books (but had to wait weeks for Ina May's Guide to Childbirth) and found them both really helpful and informative in different ways. The content overlaps a. Bit, but Birth Matters examins standard hospital care in the US and contrasts it to midwifery care. The Guide to Childbirth helps women feel confident that natural birth is something can do- something women were designed to do- and it's very safe.

Good luck!
marriagecoach
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM

That is really hard position to be in. If you don't have people in the room supporting you then it is real hard to achieve this amazing experience without medications. Hopefully you can find a hospital midwife to support your desires and help explain to your birth team the benefits of choosing a natural route for birth. Definitely check into more holistic childbirth education classes and hopefully your husband can learn what is important to you needs to be important to him.

www.beautifulbirthbundle.com  - Don't give birth without it

Melame68
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM
I trained myself to say "no". So much so that in the throws of transition, when my mw asked if I wanted to change anything I instantly said "no" without thinking about it. All I knew was I would regret it forever! I had a 100% natural birth in a hospital. No interventions no drugs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Quite frankly, fuck everyone else. This is your birth, and you can absolutely do it drug-free. Educate yourself and you will gain confidence in your body and abilities.

Speaking from experience, if you plan to birth in a hospital, hire a doula. I didn't have one, and I regret it. My birth experience was not at all what I wanted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Hire a doula! I am including a link of things I wish I had known my first go around. It has lots of great advice on how to get the support you need and facts to gather, so you can birth naturally! : ) Best wishes! 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115781/forums/read/16468659/Things_I_wish_I_had_known_as_a_first_time_mom

Freela
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Choose a birthing class that advocates natural birth, and have your hubby go with you!  Honestly, when I had my first child how we wanted to birth was probably the last thing my hubby had ever even thought about.  We took a class that focused on natural birth, and after running through the pros and cons of different interventions my dh was a lot more on board with helping me to go through the birthing process with as few interventions as possible.  He also became my best bf'ing advocate, which was something else he had probably never given much thought to.  I think getting him involved in preparations for the birth is probably the best way to involve him... and make sure to pick a birthing class that is in favour of natural birth and involving the dads as much as possible- Bradley method is great for this.

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Why is a doula out of the question?  A student doula wouldn't charge more than a few hundred dollars and they are priceless when it comes to helping through labor.  When my first was born (ended up getting an epidural despite many factors that should have prevented me from getting it) my husband and I looked at each other and agreed we needed a doula next time.  My husabdn was really supportive but he just didn't know what labor would be like and what would help the pain like a doula would know.  I strongly suggest that if you really want to go without medication you hire a doula.

Quoting _Crazy_Beauty:

Thank you! Im pretty sure that a Doula is out of the question but I do think my husband wants to go to the birthing classes with me. He just doesn't understand why i would want the pain if I don't have too.

rmgriffberg
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

i would deff suggest "The business of being born" and do your research!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)