Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Preparing for Mostly natural birth?

Posted by   + Show Post

Im 22 and 12 wks 6 days pregnant today due November 11.

I want to try for as much of a natural birth as possible but every one around is saying get the Epidural. I don't wanna be stuck in a bed and have to have someone tell me when Im having a contraction and to push. I wanna be involved.

My husband isn't the most sensitive person and im afraid he won't be able to support me the way I need it. My mom and MIL are all for the epi and I just feel as though I will have accomplished so much if im strong enough to make it through a natural birth.

How do I prepare myself when birthing in a hospital with a lack of support?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Quoting rmgriffberg:

i would deff suggest "The business of being born" and do your research!!

1stmomKK
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Hire a Doula if you can! They are a tremendous support for natural childbirth. I loved my doula. The hep you prepare mentally beforehand and hold your hand through the entire process.

Also, don't know if this helps but watch some documentarys on it. "buisness of being born" and "pregnant in America", both available on Netflix. I rewatched them a few times throughout the pregnancy to help remind me why I wanted to do it naturally.

It's your decision, don't let anyone (moms, husbands, nurses, or Drs) convince you otherwise! It's so amazing to do it naturally! You feel like you start your baby off with the best possible start. God made us to give bith! Millions of women do it all the time! You can do it girl I have faith in you! :)
doulala
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Why do you want to birth in a hospital?     

Often an uphill struggle to achieve Natural in a non-natural setting & with a medical staff.   

doulala
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Quoting _Crazy_Beauty:

Thank you! Im pretty sure that a Doula is out of the question but I do think my husband wants to go to the birthing classes with me. He just doesn't understand why i would want the pain if I don't have too.

Why not a doula ?

So he is not educated about this stuff, that can change....
 But there is a lot to consider and learn about, a doula will be very helpful with this and more.

• Doulas mother the mother.       :-)
  • Every woman who wants a doula should have one!      :-)
  • If you don't know your options you don't have any.      ~Korte & Scaer
  • If a doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it.    -John H. Kennell, MD
  • Women's strongest feelings (in terms of their birthings), positive and negative, focus on the way they were treated by their caregivers.       ~Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin
  • labor is not about dilation.  Your body knows how to give birth whether or not you have a pelvic exam during labor.  Birthing women need encouragement to trust their bodies, and to be the stars of their own labors.     ~The Doula Guide to Birth

catholicmamamia
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM

In case this has not been suggested, hire a doula!  wink mini

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

catholicmamamia
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Bradley Birthing Classes might be of great benefit, as well. 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

lalaboosh
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Many doulas will barter, too. Offer dinner for every visit or make something for her. Doulas aren't in it for the money, they want to help babies and parents more than they want to get rich!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Quoting lalaboosh:

Many doulas will barter, too. 

Did she say this was about money?    Maybe I missed something--

lalaboosh
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Idk, but she said it was not an option for her. If it IS financial that's my advice.

Quoting doulala:

Quoting lalaboosh:

Many doulas will barter, too. 

Did she say this was about money?    Maybe I missed something--

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

get a doula! and tell others they can either support you or have nothing to do with your birth. your body, your baby, your choice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)