Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Preparing for Mostly natural birth?

Posted by   + Show Post

Im 22 and 12 wks 6 days pregnant today due November 11.

I want to try for as much of a natural birth as possible but every one around is saying get the Epidural. I don't wanna be stuck in a bed and have to have someone tell me when Im having a contraction and to push. I wanna be involved.

My husband isn't the most sensitive person and im afraid he won't be able to support me the way I need it. My mom and MIL are all for the epi and I just feel as though I will have accomplished so much if im strong enough to make it through a natural birth.

How do I prepare myself when birthing in a hospital with a lack of support?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Replies (31-40):
Mrs.Salz
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone who is not supportive needs to stop talking to you about your birth and definitely should not be there during labor/delivery. I wouldn't even call to let them know you are in labor. Negativity during birth can literally close your cervix and hinder your delivery.

As everyone else said, hire a doula! Support during labor is critical especially in a hospital environment which generally makes it much more difficult to have a natural birth.

Have you considered an out-of-hospital birth at home or a freestanding birth center? It's an equally safe option for most pregnancies and makes a natural, unhindered birth much easier.

LuvAZmomma
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 7:21 AM
I know when I looked into getting a doula I found one that charged only $400 so if you start saving you would be able to do it you still have another 28 weeks before your due date look around see what you can find I think that a doula would be really helpful in your situation it is hard when no one supports your decision. I went through that my family and drs neither one supported my desired to do it natural
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvAZmomma
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this
That movie changed all my ideas about child birth. It is on Netflix (or it was). I recommend watching that to people all the time

Quoting rmgriffberg:

i would deff suggest "The business of being born" and do your research!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TippyD
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

get a doula!!!!

SarineLewis
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:28 AM

First of all CONGRATULATIONS! Babies are amazing!
I had my first mid-January. I had plans and most didn't turn out (like a lot of births). One thing that did happen is after 29 hours of labor I did not get an epidural. I don't regret any of it. Things I learned from my experience: if possible, stay away from pitocin. It makes things soooo painful and difficult to walk around because of monitors. Follow your body. I always laugh when women say they want to be in charge of their birth. Which brings me to my next tip: don't have a set in stone plan for everything. You never know how your body will move you. But do have a general plan so that your dr knows what you want. Discuss it multiple times before going into labor. Sitting while in labor = more pain. Crouching can be relieving though (that's how I spent most of ny time). Tell your dr and his/her team that you do not want an Epi and have them not offer one. Lessens the temptation. Slow, deep breathing helps with bearing contractions. Expect pain. With each contraction I told myself that the next one could ne worse. That somehow helped me handle them. Another thing I found myself doing was tensing as the pain for worse and relaxing as it dropped. Also, walk walk walk. You won't want to, but it will help labor progress.  Message me if you want. :) Good luck!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 7, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Get a doula for support, you can do it!

_Crazy_Beauty
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Right now its an insurance thing... My husband is military and we have tricare Baby is unplanned and we weren't prepared yet. I haven't graduted nursing school yet so im relying on my insurance for this.

_Crazy_Beauty
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Thanks for all of the advice I didn't do the research on a doula yet so I thought they were a little more expensive. If I can't my husband Mom and MIL on board soon. Ill definitely start looking for one. I just wanted this experience to be really intimate and as calm as possible and I guess I wanted to be able to rely on me and my family. But you guys are right most things never goas planned.

Signed : Nervous student, army wife, young mommy to be :)

jlocsgirl
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Everyone is telling me I will beg for an epidural... I'm having my baby at a birth center. There are no pain meds available, let alone an epidural! Just be strong and make sure to have a birth plan. Also, do you have a close friend who supports you? If you are afraid of your mom and MIL pushing you, you can always tell the hospital you don't want them present. They might be pissed, but this is YOUR birth! Have you thought about hiring a doula? Doulas are wonderful supporters and will make decisions for you while you're in labor (:

Maybe you can talk to your husband about the risks of epidurals. There are MANY risks, they just usually aren't talked about. Despite what you see on TV or hear from lots of women, epidurals only make labor harder and raise your risk of a c-section. Natural birth is definitely the way to go!

2boys4me0308
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:06 PM
I was forced to get an epidural on my first delivery & hated it! I got the best advice with my 2nd delivery ... Stay at home as long as you can stand durring a contraction or talk. I did this. It was so much more relaxing at home then by the time I went in Giovani was born with an hour no time for unwanted drugs. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)