Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
What happens when baby gets taller then the seat rf requirements( 40")
But havent hit the legal weight requirement (22lbs) to turn around
Were currently 22months 19lbs and 32in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Replies (21-30):
Liebevoll_mami
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM

my daughter is 20 months and is rearfacing. i was tiny for the longest time. still am LOL. my dad has a kia soul and the myride fits very well in there...but since we only have ONE its not a very good judge. (we wanna get another myride for our next baby) my best friend has an impala and that thing is HUGE!!!!! i'm sure you could fit 2 myrides and a costco scenera in there. (maybe even 3 myrides with some struggling!)

Quoting peaches_04:

Anyone rear facing 2?
Any vehicle suggestions?

CafeMom Tickers

Hi, i'm Liz(20) and my beautiful daughters name is Myranda Marie! We have One on the way as well.

MommaGreenhalge
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM
When RF, the seat is outgrown when the weight limit is reached or the child's head is an inch from the top of the carseat shell. That's why your child's torso height is important. Also remember you can usually put the seat a little more upright for an older child. My 2.5yo is still RF in his Scenera, but he's a bit of a shorty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Yeah it is torso height for RFing that is important, also for the car thing if you get another vehichle keep this in mind I so wish I had.  We planned 2 kids so my Kia was going to be fine wrong lol.  Get a vehicle that can seat more passengers because our kids will eventually have friends that will be around and we need to fit them in our cars too.  I am going to get a durgango with 3rd row seating eventually 

melindabelcher
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Theres a place for this seat buy I would never ever recommend it unless the child absolutely needed the extra 5lbs or they needed to do a tight 3 across.
The company changed their name from sunshine kids to diono after a huge issue with the latch coming loose. People were told to put duct tape around the straps or that they weren't installing it correctly. These were car seat techs if they can't "install it correctly" how would they expects "regular parents" to do it. The harness would randomly come loose and people were told it was the child who was doing it must children can't reach the harness adjuster. They ducked and weaved around issues told every parents it was the "first complaint they've ben informed of" yet numerous moms were all saying the same thing. I returned mine and gladly. Any company who denies theres a problem and puts childrens lives in jepordy won't get my money. That being said always install with a seat belt they'll fix potential problems.
You can google radian latch issues and see some of the complaints.

Quoting jillj501:

Quoting melindabelcher:Diono seats need to be stayed far away from! Very shady company! What vehicle do you have how many kids

Oh no! Why? I can't find anything bad and it was highly recommended!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM
My rides are nice but extremely big. For the same price you can get a britax roundabout which has the same shell height, same weight limits, slimmer fit, allows for rf tethering and has advanced ff technology.

Quoting Liebevoll_mami:

my daughter is 20 months and is rearfacing. i was tiny for the longest time. still am LOL. my dad has a kia soul and the myride fits very well in there...but since we only have ONE its not a very good judge. (we wanna get another myride for our next baby) my best friend has an impala and that thing is HUGE!!!!! i'm sure you could fit 2 myrides and a costco scenera in there. (maybe even 3 myrides with some struggling!)

Quoting peaches_04:

Anyone rear facing 2?

Any vehicle suggestions?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsAdorkable
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM

google super latch fail

Quoting jillj501:

Quoting melindabelcher:Diono seats need to be stayed far away from! Very shady company! What vehicle do you have how many kids

Oh no! Why? I can't find anything bad and it was highly recommended!

metallicagurl84
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM
I don't understand. I thought only infant car seats are rear facing. Why rear face a child at older ages? I thought once they hit 1 you can take them out of an infant seat & front face them? I'm getting my other seat out of storage, my 13m DS hates the rear facing one & is too chubby & tall for it. Why would people bash for front facing children?
BB,
Fey
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillj501
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Quoting melindabelcher:

I just went out to examine my carseat and cannot find the mechanism that was failing in the complaints. I'm not sure if they changed the design or if a ff install is the reason. The super latch problem is horrifying and I am deeply disappointed that the company did not recognize the very real problem publicly. Isn't ther some sort of regulating body on car seats that would force a recall for a problem like this? I could understand comlaints about fabric tearing, or difficult to use buckles but a car seat that gets loose with normal use!?
Peaches, sorry I stole your post. Be really cautious about considering the diono.
peaches_04
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Well for starters its one year AND 22lbs is the minimum legal requirement were only 19lbs
But the longer you can rf the safer baby is in a crash
Theres even been talk of extending laws to 2years

Quoting metallicagurl84:

I don't understand. I thought only infant car seats are rear facing. Why rear face a child at older ages? I thought once they hit 1 you can take them out of an infant seat & front face them? I'm getting my other seat out of storage, my 13m DS hates the rear facing one & is too chubby & tall for it. Why would people bash for front facing children?

BB,

Fey
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Quoting metallicagurl84:

BB,
Fey

RF'ing at older ages is very important. Do you think that on their first birthday everything that is supposed to fuse or be full grown does it on that day? No! People are in too big of a rush to FF kids just because they 'might like looking out the window' for the post part.

Carseats are to be used to the max RF'ing weight BEFORE turning them around. The guidelines are now RF'ing till AT LEAST TWO. I go past that even. I would never go by the minimums cause my child is more important to me than some minimum, ya know?

BTW...check the expiration date on the one you are getting out of storage. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN