Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
Share your remedies, please. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Replies (11-17):
NDFanatik
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Breastmilk, coconut oil, browned flour, and California Baby.

rmgriffberg
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM

does the lavender do anything besides make it smell good? (sorry i am new to most of this)

Quoting jellyphish:

Absolutely! You can get it at a health food store or herbal shop. You can add a tiny bit of lavender oil to it if you'd like too.

Quoting rmgriffberg:

my son and daughter both have a bad diaper rash and its starting to blister on both of them...would jojoba oil still work and where do you get it?

Quoting jellyphish:

Any oil that can go rancid can eventually make your cloth diapers stink since the oil can't be washed out. Fractionated coconut oil is a little safer. Either way I'd use a disposable liner or paper towel with it. Jojoba oil is a natural preservative and never goes bad, so it's the safest oil for cloth. That's one reason I love it so much.

Quoting rmgriffberg:

can you use coconut oil when cloth diapering or should i put a liner into of the diaper?

Quoting illegallyblonde:

Coconut oil. I rub a little on after each diaper change. DS is 4 mo and hasn't had a rash.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Abso-freakin'-lutely!!!
EOs are very therapeutic and medicinal. They're more powerful than herbs!

Lavender is soothing and fantastic for skin health. It'll sooth and heal burns, rashes, new tats, and all kinds of skin problems.

Quoting rmgriffberg:

does the lavender do anything besides make it smell good? (sorry i am new to most of this)

Quoting jellyphish:

Absolutely! You can get it at a health food store or herbal shop. You can add a tiny bit of lavender oil to it if you'd like too.

Quoting rmgriffberg:

my son and daughter both have a bad diaper rash and its starting to blister on both of them...would jojoba oil still work and where do you get it?

Quoting jellyphish:

Any oil that can go rancid can eventually make your cloth diapers stink since the oil can't be washed out. Fractionated coconut oil is a little safer. Either way I'd use a disposable liner or paper towel with it. Jojoba oil is a natural preservative and never goes bad, so it's the safest oil for cloth. That's one reason I love it so much.

Quoting rmgriffberg:

can you use coconut oil when cloth diapering or should i put a liner into of the diaper?

Quoting illegallyblonde:

Coconut oil. I rub a little on after each diaper change. DS is 4 mo and hasn't had a rash.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmgriffberg
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:13 AM

is there a website where i could learn more about eo's??
again thank you so much for all your answers

Quoting jellyphish:

Abso-freakin'-lutely!!!

Lavender is soothing and fantastic for skin health. It'll sooth and heal burns, rashes, new tats, and all kinds of skin problems.

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Quoting illegallyblonde:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM
I haven't found a reliable website for info. Just like herbs, they're very powerful yet totally unregulated and misunderstood, anyone can and do put out lots of misinfo on the web. I strongly suggest that Julia Lawless book. It's really easy to find used.

Quoting rmgriffberg:

is there a website where i could learn more about eo's??
again thank you so much for all your answers

Quoting jellyphish:

Abso-freakin'-lutely!!!

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Quoting illegallyblonde:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on May. 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM
I've never had a problem with stinky diapers. If they are washed properly they will not stink. How do you wash yours? We have a diaper sprayer hooked up to the toilet. We spray them out and I rinse out the inserts. When we wash them, we do a Pre wash and an extra rinse that we set in the washer. Total wash time is 1 hour 31 minutes.

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Quoting illegallyblonde:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM
It's not a mater of how well it's washed, it's a matter of water and oil not mixing. Oil can't be completely washed out, which is why there are any cd unsafe remedies at all. Therefore, any oil that can go rancid and is in cloth, can eventually make the cloth smell like rancid oils.
Ever get a massage and the therapist's sheets smelled rotten? That's why- they're using sheets that have rancid oil in them, it's not because the sheets aren't cleaned.

Coconut oil isn't as offensive as other oils, but because it has a shelf life and can go rancid, it may eventually make the diapers smell like rancid coconut oil.

Quoting illegallyblonde:

I've never had a problem with stinky diapers. If they are washed properly they will not stink. How do you wash yours? We have a diaper sprayer hooked up to the toilet. We spray them out and I rinse out the inserts. When we wash them, we do a Pre wash and an extra rinse that we set in the washer. Total wash time is 1 hour 31 minutes.

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Quoting illegallyblonde:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN