Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My daughters never been this sick before please advice

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM
  • 14 Replies
My daughter will be 6 years old next Wensday. She has been sick a few time (2 or 3 max a year) but nothing like since she started school. She just I mean less then a week ago got off an antibiotic for a throat infections and she is sick again. Today around lunch I noticed she didn't look right and asked her what was wrong. She told me her head hurt. I gave her some children's ibprophen and with in and hour she felt better.
I suffer from migraines that started about her age so I have been worried about that. Well around 3 she spiked a fever of 102. Her only compliant was her headach came back. At the time we were on the river and as soon as she said she felt bad we came home. By the time we got home her head was killing her. My husband gave her another dose of ibprophen and within an hour her headach was gone but the fever hasn't budged. We dont have an urgent care or after hours clinic here so it's the ER or nothing. Our ER isn't very good so I am trying to hold out till Monday to see her doc.
This makes the at least 10 th time since she started school last August she had been sick. She never gets sick like this. I don't know what else to do to keep her from getting sick and not sure if I should take her to the ER for a fever and an on again off again headach. Nothing else is bothering her she says. I am so confused. This has never happen before. Any and all advice is welcome. I just want my girl to feel better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
addynbellasmom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Hmm, it won't help her right now, but since my kids started school, I've been giving them immune booster vitamins, I get them at vitamin cottage, the sicknesses have been so much more.mild and infrequently, good luck hon!
firemom5906
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM
We have been doing that since she stopped BFing. She has a great teacher and aid that help remind the kids to wash hand use sanitizer and they have even deep cleaned the class room. For some strange reason for the last 2 months there have been 3 to 5 kids out in her class daily. I am so glad there is only 2 weeks left in school. I never thought I would look forward to summer like I am. I know the weather here hasnt been helping a bit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 6, 2012 at 12:23 AM
My daughter was like that when she started school. She was getting sick 15-20 times a year. Vitamin D, Vitamin C, multivitamins, probiotics, lots of colorful veggies and fruits. Kids are just gross all grouped together in school. They touch everything and put their hands in their mouths and on their faces. My daughter is hyper... Adhd/ autism... And she has to touch and rub on everything. Since she started homeschool its been much better. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samantha4509
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM
My son aswell started pre k this year and has been sick atleast once a month , if it's throat it's a cold or fever :( I'm giving him vitamins I bought at Walmart called polyvisol they are really good I hope they keep him from getting sick!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blg5484
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM

headache and fever combo could be something serious like meningitis. Watch that close I have a cousin that was in the 6th grade healthy as a horse got a bad headache few hours later a fever they took him to the ER 3 times(he was in that much pain) the docs missed it the first 2 times by the 3rd time it was to late and with in 36 hours he was dead the antibiotics wouldnt work.

keep a close eye on her hope she gets to feeling better

Jesus Christ, Albert Einstein and Michael Jordan were all breastfed to

age three and beyond. The day YOU have SIX NBA Championship rings and

millions of dollars in endorsement contracts, a Noble Prize in Physics

AND the ability to walk on water, you may make comments.
breastfeeding

soulofsunmama
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
The Poly vi sol made by enfamil? That has a lot of pretty nasty ingredients, try looking for a better quality vitamin, there not to expensive, pretty easy to find, and well worth it, just a thought.

Quoting Samantha4509:

My son aswell started pre k this year and has been sick atleast once a month , if it's throat it's a cold or fever :( I'm giving him vitamins I bought at Walmart called polyvisol they are really good I hope they keep him from getting sick!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samantha4509
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM
It does ? What kind of nasty ingredients ??

Quoting soulofsunmama:

The Poly vi sol made by enfamil? That has a lot of pretty nasty ingredients, try looking for a better quality vitamin, there not to expensive, pretty easy to find, and well worth it, just a thought.

Quoting Samantha4509:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Enfamil Poly Vi Sol Multivitamin Supplement Fruit Flavored Drops
Glycerin , Water , Ascorbic Acid , Ferrous Sulfate , Vitamin E Succinate , Niacinamide , Artificial Flavor And Color Caramel , Polysorbate 80 , Vitamin A Palmitate , Thiamin Hydrochloride , Riboflavin - 5 - Phosphate Sodium , Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride , Vitamin D3

There's a lot of extra nastiness in the ingredients, just saying there are better and healthier alternatives...
Quoting Samantha4509:

It does ? What kind of nasty ingredients ??

Quoting soulofsunmama:

Quoting Samantha4509:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Its not uncommon for their first year to be sick frequently. Keep an eye on her and if she worsens and isn't acting right, fever wont come down after giving fever reducing medications, etc i would bring her into the ER

firemom5906
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Thanks ladies!!  I was worried about this and told hubby if she wasnt better by today it was a trip to the ER.  This morning she woke up NO fever and she is great just a little weak.  I think she had her first migraine.  :(  She has a check up soon and I will be talking to her doc about it.  I hate she got them.  I have them and so does every female in my family.  Now I just need to figure out what meds they will give her being she is so young to deal with them. 

Quoting blg5484:

headache and fever combo could be something serious like meningitis. Watch that close I have a cousin that was in the 6th grade healthy as a horse got a bad headache few hours later a fever they took him to the ER 3 times(he was in that much pain) the docs missed it the first 2 times by the 3rd time it was to late and with in 36 hours he was dead the antibiotics wouldnt work.

keep a close eye on her hope she gets to feeling better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)