Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

going to have a natural birth

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:46 AM
  • 29 Replies

Quote:

hi im lilly this is my first baby and i want to have it natural ? how many of you all had natural birth and is it better than getting pain medication ?

baby girl

by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:27 AM

I will let you know.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 8, 2012 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Its better for mom AND baby to not have meds, when meds are used theres a higher risk of csection, with meds theres no endorphin rush or its not as strong so the pain killing effect of those endorphins is missed by baby too.  The epidurals work for MOM but not for baby so without those endorphins baby feels the pain of delivery.

2forKaty
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:14 AM
I've done both and obviously going with pain meds is less painful for you but like the pp said it is more painful for baby and creates more risk for decels in babies heart rate and trouble breathing after birth and a higher rate of c sections. Plus although I was so happy to meet my son after he was born I think having an epidural and stadol reall disconnected me from the whole experience. With my most recent birth I went totally natural and yeah, it hurt like heck but when I held my baby for the first time after all the work to birth her the feeling was amazing. I also felt soooo much better physically after my 2 natural births vs my epidural/stadol birth. I hated being numb from the epi and it slowed my labor down a ton and I ended up so swollen down there I sat on an ice pack for a week.....with my natural birth I didn't need ice past the first day and I didn't tear like I did with with my son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Welcome Lilly!

imtheonlysane1
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

All of my children were natural so I can't really say which would be easier. I assume a drugged birth would be easier but not healthier for you or baby. 

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I don't know-pushing with no feeling in your legs is a very helpless feeling.  I kind of feel like the epidural took the edge off contractions but made pushing so much harder and I hated the feeling of being on my back but even with the nurses trying to help me into a different position I couldn't do it.  Plus for many women the epidural doesn't take away all pain.

Quoting imtheonlysane1:

All of my children were natural so I can't really say which would be easier. I assume a drugged birth would be easier but not healthier for you or baby. 

NDFanatik
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Drugged birth has the lure of an "easier" birth, but it is often more complicated BECAUSE of the drugs.

I have had 2 natural childbirths, one at the hospital and one at home.  I would recommend it because, as a pp stated, it is much better for the both of you and usually much safer as well.  I can not justify the risks of introducing medications and interventions into my births, so I won't. 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Welcome =)

rockerchick1982
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Quoting MixedCooke:

I will let you know.

thank you :)

rockerchick1982
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Its better for mom AND baby to not have meds, when meds are used theres a higher risk of csection, with meds theres no endorphin rush or its not as strong so the pain killing effect of those endorphins is missed by baby too.  The epidurals work for MOM but not for baby so without those endorphins baby feels the pain of delivery.

thank you for the advice ,, does it hurt though i know dumb question to ask ,, but this my first baby 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)