Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doula Training

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:06 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi Ladies!! I am interested in becoming a Doula. I am not sure where to go to get more information. I don't even know what is involved in the training or what the requirements are. Is anyone here a Doula? If so, can you help point me in the right direction?

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                     

I am a home birthing, breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!!

by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MamaPrime
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I would look into the different organizations for doula certification. DONA is the biggest one, there is also TOLABOR and several others. I am a postpartum doula earning my way to becoming a labor doula with a local agency called Birthways. That is another way to go. See if there are any local coordinating agencies that will train you while you work. YOu may have to go to some free or probono labors. But you will earn your wings!

mommy2harper
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Thats awesome! Good luck to you!
lundaylove
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

you dont have to certify but most do.. check out these places

childbirth international
birth arts international
cappa
dona
tolabor
birthways

madisonsmom2005
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Thanks Ladies!! I am really excited to learn more about becoming a Doula and I think you can never have enough training. There is something to learn everyday!! Thank you for the help and support!!

hugs

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                     

I am a home birthing, breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!!

NDFanatik
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I had to delay my certification, but there are a variety of courses you can take- it just depends on the kind of doula you would like to be.  I personally was going to go through either Childbirth International or Birth Arts International because they are a bit more laid back and support the kind of doula I would like to be.  There are several other organizations that you can go through so just do a search for them and find what suits you best.  Each has a list of reading materials that you have to choose from, you have to write papers, and you have to attend a certain amount of births.  Some require you to go to local childbirth classes and sit in and some also require you to go to a variety of birth types (home AND hosp, not just one). 

Amy Lynn, Loving wife, Mom to Christopher, Katherine, & Matthew, Natural Childbirth/VBAC & breastfeeding supporter & advocate.

outstandingLove
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

ICEA

international childbirth education association.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Bump for more information!

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Hey I know you! =)

Quoting mommy2harper:

Thats awesome! Good luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)