Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ugh vent

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM
  • 15 Replies

I cant seem to find a birthing center near wher I live. I dont want to birth in a hospital again because I feel like they dont listen to their patients needs and wants.  Even though Im not due untill December, I really want to get everything organized. I have google and yahooed and nothing is coming up :(

Pregnancy%20ticker
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Theres no birth ecnter near me either...Im gonna have a homebirth for that reason

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Look into home birth-we don't have a birth center in our large metropolitan area either.  In terms of what the midwife can or can't do there isn't a difference between a birth center and your home.

Naegore
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Look for midwives instead. I understand that there are many who pretty much just do home deliveries because they work out of their own homes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Good luck hope u find something
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jonathansmom606
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Im going to look into a home birth. I just hope my insurance covers it :/

Pregnancy%20ticker
NDFanatik
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Have you considered a homebirth?  I had a beautiful homebirth in September :)

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Yep id say home birth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanut06
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM

On the insurance concern, consider what your deductible is.  Mine, with Humana, is $3000 (then they cover 100% of office visity/hospitally stuff).  Depending on the area, you could possibly find a midwife to cover all your prenatal AND delivery, including supplies sometimes, for not much more! 

NDFanatik
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Quoting peanut06:

On the insurance concern, consider what your deductible is.  Mine, with Humana, is $3000 (then they cover 100% of office visity/hospitally stuff).  Depending on the area, you could possibly find a midwife to cover all your prenatal AND delivery, including supplies sometimes, for not much more! 

Yep.  My deductable is $3000.  Total cost of my homebirth (prentals, birth, & postpartum) was $2600.  Supplies cost me maybe $100-150 more. 

Not to mention that it may not cover ALL of your hospital birth- you could easily still end up with $3000+ to pay AFTER insurance. 

My natural hosptal birth cost a total of about $10,000.  I was responsible for $1000 of that...  in ADDITION to what I had to pay my OB out of pocket for prenatal and postpartum care which was $2500. 

My homebirth (without using insurance) was cheaper than my hsopital birth (with insurance).

Amy Lynn, Loving wife, Mom to Christopher, Katherine, & Matthew, Natural Childbirth/VBAC & breastfeeding supporter & advocate.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Many homebirth midwives are not covered by insurance but their cost is often less than a hospital deductible. Many are open to bartering/trading skills for some of their cost and many have a sliding scale based on income.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)