Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

could I do this? (long but relevant)

Posted by   + Show Post
I am ever planning my next pregnancy and birth. I had a beautifully, perfect pregnancy, and my water broke on it's own, but the moment I walked into the hospital, it was intervention after intervention. I ended up with very unnecissary csection. He got stuck in my pelvis and the medical staff said that any more kids I have will more than likely be delivered via csection. Here is my issue: when they allowed me in a squatting position, I felt my pelvis pop and a huge urge to push and said so. The nurse stuck her hand down there to keep me from pushing and made me lay back down because it was against hospital policy.

Here is what I am trying to figure out now. When we do concieve our next child, the midwives here don't accept our insurance because they have had issues out of them. Could I attend a regular OB for the first several months, who does accept my insurance, and switch to a midwife for the last few (I know it will be out of pocket)? We want a home delivery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Replies (21-22):
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I did too- I put aside money every month until I had enough for a doula and midwife before we ttc. 

With insurance my hospital birth (just the delivery) was $3000

My midwife charges $3000 including prenatals and there's no "Oh by the way you need this" she usually gives me a few options for things like ultrasound and does the minimum as long as things are fine. 

My midwife specifically states on her website that she will take on clients late in pregnancy (her first hb she was seeing an OB until 34 weeks so she is partial to the late deciders) but that it won't make the price cheaper.  If money is an issue they're pretty willing to work out payment plans-depending on when you are due you might be able to wait until tax returns come in or make payments.  They'd rather you not compromise on prenatal care because of cost.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I will be having a home birth next time. We aren't even ttc but I am saving money now so when the time comes I can pay the mw, doula, and photographer.

Naegore
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks ladies. I have taken notes and I am going to do more research. Starting a mw fund sounds like a very good idea :-) Lots for me to consider.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)