Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Solids?! WWYD? *updated ;)*

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:30 PM
  • 41 Replies

Baby is 6 months old and 19lbs, EBF on demand. I wanted to delay solids for awhile, because I know they are not NEEDED before 12 months or later...

But he is desperate for food. He's been VERY interested for a few months now, but lately has been getting angry with me because I won't give him my food. I'm torn! I think he may be "ready" to try some veggies but I don't want to do it just because he seems to want it.

I'd prefer to give him small soft chunks of veggies and fruit but he only has two teeth. SO, what would YOU do in this situation?!

Avery got his highchair yesterday. He got some chunks of avocado... they are tricky to grasp, so I did give him 2 small pieces, which he ate right up. But he's more interested in smushing them up all over the tray LOL.

Thanks for all of the advice :)

Brittany~

Intactivist/Lactivist, AP'ing, newly UC'ing momma to lots of Littles and wife to my Native American partner in crime in lovesince 2006

by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elisybeth
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I go by baby led and in my opinion he us leading you to say he is ready for food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DyerMaker
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:35 PM

let him explore food options. My 9 month old won't touch pureed baby food or jarred baby food at 10 months. He never really liked it. He, however ATTACKS me when it comes to my plate. I give him a celery stick or crackers. He knaws and enjoys it, but he really isn't getting many calories. It is actually good to develop some social skills, and yes, there is a social activity in the process of eating.

tiger_tatted1
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Give him a bite now and then when he wants it. Dont give full meals daily. Stay ebf. He will probably be satisfied with a bitwle or two
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrittBratt
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I do feel bad denying him :(

I sometimes wonder if I'm not allowing it because I don't want to be like all of the other moms that start their kid on solids ASAP... I was just telling a girl I know ( her son is 2 weeks younger than mine--4lbs smaller, and on solids at 4.5 months old) how I was going to wait until closer to 8 months before thinking about solids. *sigh*

Quoting elisybeth:

I go by baby led and in my opinion he us leading you to say he is ready for food.

Brittany~

Intactivist/Lactivist, AP'ing, newly UC'ing momma to lots of Littles and wife to my Native American partner in crime in lovesince 2006

BrittBratt
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Thank you for all of the support and advice :)

I guess I'll try giving him a bite or two sometime soon LOL Maybe in 2 weeks, when he is 7 months old... ;)

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM
2 moms liked this
if he can sit unassisted, grasp items, over 6 months, seems interested. Just place a couple pieces of avocado or sweet potatoe on his tray let him play. He may or may not eat it.
If your bf you must always nurse before any solids until at least 1yr old. Solids are desert.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM
I'm probably going to get bashed but I started DD at 4 months.
But she was grabbing at food Ect. She also was starting sitting up on her own at 2 1/2 months.
I skipped the jar food and the spoon.
I just put what ever veggies we were eating in the food proseser(sp) till it was like chunky.
Put her in her high-chair and let her have at it. If she got some in her mouth- great, but she had a ball and felt included. LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 13, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I would put him in a high chair and put chunks of whatever veggies I wanted him to try on it and let him have at it..if he eats it wonderful, if not wonderfu..oh and nurse before

BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM
This. My older daughter loved bananas sliced up real small.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I would put him in a high chair and put chunks of whatever veggies I wanted him to try on it and let him have at it..if he eats it wonderful, if not wonderfu..oh and nurse before

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM
This. And they don't need a bunch of teeth, or teeth in general. They can gum food too :)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)