Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Do you give baby flouride supplements?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was just at the doc for my son's 9 month check up.  He has 2 bottom teeth and the doc prescribed flouride drops.  We have well water so we probably do not have flouride in the water, but I'd have to get it tested to be sure.  I've done research and have found both positive and negative info about it.  So I'm asking for your advice on whether you think giving daily flouride drops is a good idea?

by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Replies (41-44):
outstandingLove
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Quoting LoveMyLilPeople:

You're more likely to have fluoride in well water than town water.  You definitely have to get it tested.  You don't want to give your baby a supplement if he's already getting it.  I'm reading a lot of stern "nos" on here... where did you all get your information?  I have been giving it to my baby.  His doctor is very good and he recommended it.  People in Britain have terrible teeth due to lack of fluoride.  Bad teeth can be dangerous as well.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/01/02/fluoride-controversy.aspx

http://www.fluoridealert.org/

Basically, when i looked it up what i found is YES, flouride is beneficial for your teeth. When applied topically (meaning when it is literally layered on top of your teeth by a dentist) but ingesting it is toxice and harmful.

Hannah62
by on May. 18, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Ingesting the proper dose will help the developing adult teeth to have a stronger enamel and be more resistant to developing cavities.
Hannah62
by on May. 18, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Fluorosis does not cause rotting of the teeth. Those white spots can also be decalcified areas which can be confused. Decalcification is the start of cavities and actually reversible if caught early enough with topical fluoride.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 18, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Nope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)