Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone else hold off on purees past 6 months

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:52 PM
  • 26 Replies

has anyone else held off on giving purees past 6 months

by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyjenn84
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this
We will be skipping them all together with this baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 6:55 PM
Yep. I skipped purees altogether and then when I did start at 9 months I started with real foods like avocados cubes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:57 PM
I didn't, but I had never heard anything different at the time. With my youngest who is five we kind of skipped them. I would just put whatever we were eating in the food processor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM

We skipped purees altogether.

And while I was fine with offering food after 6 months, she wasn't interested until 10 months, and I didn't make a point to really offer until she turned one.

catholicmamamia
by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Another 'we skipped purees' reply! My babies were ready for solids around their first birthdays and we began with avocado, banana, and sweet potato.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

lovellskt
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM
My 10 month old hasn't had anything but Breastmilk yet. When he's interested, he will get table food, mo purees.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherrynarissa
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

like i wanted to hold off on the purees because i heard of all the advantages.  out pediatrican is not remotely natural parenting promoting at every turn exactly the opposite just like my mother inlaw.  which has made it hard on me as a parent has cause the source of disagreement with my husband and inlaws.  it would not be so much a problem if we did not live under the same roof as our inlaws because of finacial difficulties right now.  my ml always says i have never heard anyone doing ___ on every natural parenting thing.  and constantly says that can't be possible about everything i mean everything which i know is untrue because everyone i knew growing up used these methods.  or that "you have to do it this way " and then is like if i say no is like you are not open to suggestions lol telling someone you have to do something is not a suggestion or a idea it is a order/ ultimatum and is forcing.

and to make it worse when my husband and i get in a dissagreement he goes downstairs and starts ranting to his parents everytime threatening to kick me out and devorce me and make it so i will never see our child again.  and then what gets even worse is the inlaws try to work out our issues saying what i need to do not what he does and then saying they can be involved in our busness that the marriage counsilor does not know what she is talking about about that it is not good to have the inlaws involved that our issues are private all because we are under their roof.

sorry for ranting but its just sometimes it is lonely not to have someone to talk to about this issue.  Like the things i wanted were reasonable it thought to breast feed, sling wear, use natural california baby products washing not bathing the baby but two to three times aweek as she has really dry sentive skin she is bi racial having slightly lighter skin that me and my curly hair.  I wanted to hold off and not use purees and go to soft solids when she was ready because of the beenifit i head but met so much restance to that now our poor daughter has had constipation for almost two months and instead of blaming the purees everyone has been blaming me that i am not eating right or getting enough fat or drinking right.  which is something i have always been admired by others my eating habbits and others who have always asked me for advice on cooking like with high fiber foods and natural methods.  i don't see whats wrong with eating chicken, turkey, bison and fish instead of pork.  last night she got ticked off at my husband because after reading on line and going to the pediatrican he thought well maybe it was the purees and that and we wanted to try flax seed oil and apple juice for the consitpation and just breastfeeding to see if she would get better.  well she was like i have never heard of someone one not using white rice cerial and also starting purees and stoping she was not happy when we had made the desission earlier to hold off purees till 6 months (she seemed interested and my husband said the was the max he wanted to wait)  so against my gut i said ok.  now she refusses food anyways alot.  no suprise their. 

whats the point of mothers instinct if people say not to follow it when it has never ever steared me wrong when i follow it.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Yep and we never really did purees except when we were out. Google baby led solids.

cherrynarissa
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM

oh did i mention she does not even have teeth yet and the docs say they don't see them coming in any time soon

mommy2b39465
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

with mine (they are 6.5 months now), they started looking longingly at our food around 4 months. Maybe around 4.5 months, I pureed some sweet potatos and sweet peas and mixed in a lot of breastmilk, so they were almost liquid. The boys just liked eating from a spoon, maybe because that's what they see the rest of us doing. 

Anyway, now at 6.5 months they eat stage 2 purees and have a good old time making a mess. I need to use highchairs, but we're selling our house so they are in storage, so I feed them on the couch. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)