Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Vitamin D drops

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM
  • 33 Replies
So just welcomed our second son on Wed may 9th.

Now he was seen by the pedi that following Friday and the doctor recommended giving him vitamin D drops.
We never did with our first.

My question is. Is it safe? Why should we? Wouldn't baby be getting that through my breast milk if I take a postnatal vitamin?

Thank you for all your advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sreichelt26
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Vitamin D comes from the sun. Your vitamins will help, but just get him outside for 20 minutes a day and he'll be just fine.

sreichelt26
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Here's info from kellymom too:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d/

During lactation: Adding a vitamin D supplement to mom’s diet and/or exposure to ultraviolet light will increase the amount of vitamin D in her breastmilk. As long as mom is not vitamin D deficient, her breastmilk will have the right amount of vitamin D. However, babies were “designed” to get only part of their vitamin D from breastmilk and the remainder from sun exposure

Mommyagainyay
by on May. 19, 2012 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much. I just felt like it wasn't that nesscary. Since I'm taking a vitamin I didn't want him to get an over dose. If that's possible. Sigh! The things we worry about as mothers I just have a hard time fully trusting drs. *from past experiences* I don't want to do something because I blindly took a drs word vs my gut feeling
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on May. 20, 2012 at 4:31 AM

I live in alaska it is dark here a lot and I take it but will not give it to babies it ruins the virgin gut 

doulala
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Quoting Mommyagainyay:

Thank you so much. I just felt like it wasn't that nesscary. Since I'm taking a vitamin I didn't want him to get an over dose. If that's possible. Sigh! The things we worry about as mothers I just have a hard time fully trusting drs. *from past experiences* I don't want to do something because I blindly took a drs word vs my gut feeling

you sound very wise.

:-)

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Some Peds suggest it routinely. I am very uncomfortable giving sups to a child w/o concern of deficiency, especially an ebf whose virgin gut can be ruined.
If you're worried about vit d, get sunshine and eat mushrooms!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM
And also, congratulations!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyagainyay
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Thank you for that compliment.

Quoting doulala:

Quoting Mommyagainyay:

you sound very wise.

:-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyagainyay
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Thank you. I never thought about my babies gut. Makes me even more firm in my decision to not do it. Again thank you

Quoting jellyphish:

And also, congratulations!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
helema24
by on May. 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM

tell your dr where to shove it in a nice way and strip that lil one down to his diaper and give him some sun!! 5-10 mins is all thats needed per session. flipping him over every couple mintues to make sure he doesnt burn. thats all he needs for vitamin d.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)