Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Baby sunblock

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM
  • 17 Replies
My dd will be one month old this weekend and we have season passes to water park is our town has a splash pad and we live near lake Michigan and the dunes. I have sun hats for her and my moby wrap is SPF 50 but I was hoping that there was also a safe sunblock for her as well. I know california baby and Burt's bees and badger all make mineral sunscreens for babies but are any of them really okay for a one month old? I don't want her to get any sunburn but I can't stay inside all afternoon with a 6yo and 4yo, kwim?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lundaylove
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

babyganics is a 2 on the ewg scale which is the best ive found (thats easy to find) for lil ones.  you can get it at BRU

2forKaty
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM
And so it is okay to use that on my baby? I saw that one on amazon and the price was better than the others iirc...... What does the rating of 2 mean?

Quoting lundaylove:

babyganics is a 2 on the ewg scale which is the best ive found (thats easy to find) for lil ones.  you can get it at BRU

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outstandingLove
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Badgers was deemed one of the safest as well.

lundaylove
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:04 PM

i believe so. i used it when my daughter was 2wks old when we went to an amusement park in fl during the summer. and the rating means there are little chemicals and other crap in it.
http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/best-sunscreens/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/  

Quoting 2forKaty:

And so it is okay to use that on my baby? I saw that one on amazon and the price was better than the others iirc...... What does the rating of 2 mean?

Quoting lundaylove:

2forKaty
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Thank you!!!

Quoting lundaylove:

i believe so. i used it when my daughter was 2wks old when we went to an amusement park in fl during the summer. and the rating means there are little chemicals and other crap in it.
http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/best-sunscreens/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/  

Quoting 2forKaty:

Quoting lundaylove:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM
You aren't suoposed to use any sunblock (even the "natural" ones) that I've ever heard of before 6 months. Physically blocking the sun with blankets, clothing, an umbrella, finding shade, etc are what we've always done.
I know this group is fairly anti stroller, but I think in this case that would probably be a good option if you're determined to take a newborn to a waterpark. If it's hot enough to go to a place like that, I can't imaging how hot your baby is going to being against your hot body in a baby carrier AND covered up from the sun. I'm honestly worried about your baby having a heat stroke!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2012 at 12:41 AM
They do sell baby floaties that have sun shades on them if you are planning on taking your LO into the water. Also, I've seen baby sun glasses that wrap around the baby's head to protect her eyes from water glare.
You could also invest in a baby rash guard with long sleeves. This is a great alternative to sun screen, especially of you are going to be taking her into the water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2forKaty
by on May. 24, 2012 at 2:23 AM
I'm not sure how much I'll take her in the water because I don't know I'd she'd like it. I haven't ever put her in a stiller either so I don't know what she would think of that....I imagine she would hate it. I'll have to look for the sun glasses and rash guard. I was hoping just to put sunscreen on her face invade her sun hat doesn't quite cover it all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlocsgirl
by on May. 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM

No way, no sunscreen until 6 months. It's really not worth the risk! Keep her covered and stay in the shade if you can. They also make rash guards that are SPF 50 with long pants and sleeves and hats. Much better alternative than sunscreen.

FebPenguins
by on May. 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I have heard of laundry detergent that acts like sunscreen on clothes! I can't remember where I saw it, but it is suppose to last up to 20 washes. I don't know how/if it works, but maybe another option to look into.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)