Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Flying with a toddler..

Posted by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM
  • 9 Replies
In a little over a week my DS and I are flying to Cali (we live in Louisiana). He is 14months old.

Any suggestions on what to keep him occupied on a long flight?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hapababies
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2012 at 12:42 AM
If you have an iPod touch or iPad there are some really cute apps for toddlers. Food (nursing or otherwise) is a great distraction. Favorite toys or books. I had my purse full of his things so they were easy to get to. If you're lucky, your LO will sleep.
I just got done flying to dc and california in a months time with my toddler. Have fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
schultzal
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Not sure how long the flight is, but when I was a nanny I traveled a lot with a single mom and her two kids (one was a toddler). She packed a small "surprise" (a little toy, fruit snacks, a new coloring book, etc.) for each hour of the flight. Also be sure to pack a variety of snacks, if he is prone to making a wide array of decisions at snack time. :) I would also say to take a reusable water bottle/sippy cup and fill it with water after you go through security. 

iPods and iPads are also great for movies and tv shows! Have a great trip!

bbmkfo03
by on May. 26, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I've been traveling with DD since she was 9 months old and she never naps on a plane! I pack snacks, some of her favorite toys & books, coloring books, sticker books, a dvd player (which you have to remember to charge before you go, made that mistake on the way back from our last trip). A new book or coloring book is also a good idea to take out when needed during the flight.

EthansMomma2010
by on May. 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

for a toddler under 2 you are still allowed any kind of liquids you deem necessary for the flight. just leave an extra 10 -15 mins for security. i strongly suggest his own carseat. technically he can be on your lap, but its a pita. i tried it and ended up buying him a seat.

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I just flew with my newly 1 year old.  I suggest timing naps for plane time as much as possible, lots of snacks and setting a few toys that hold their attention aside now so when you get them out traveling they are more of a novelty.  Nurse, pacifier or bottle for takeoff and landing because he/she won't know how to get their ears to pop.

VintageWife
by on May. 26, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Snacks, books, etc
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Kaylie
by on May. 26, 2012 at 9:44 PM

a new clean shoelace and a no spill container of cheerios or fruitloops.  Make a snack necklace and then eat and make again.  Bendaroos are fun, small, not messy.  You can make little animals for him to play with or show him some letters with them.  You can make a chain of them or just bend them around in your hands.  velcro is fun for that age.  Make a folder matching game and attach that sticker velcro to the pieces and folder.  google folder games and you can shapes or pictures for the folder, cut them out, and cover with tape (laminate) them before you go.  

NaturalMamaCZ
by on May. 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Portable DVD player, books, good snacks. And I let my guy stand up in front of my seat and go through the seat pockets :+) I also schedule flight during nap time if possible.
schultzal
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Bendaroos are really cool! I had forgotten about them. :)

Quoting Mom2Kaylie:

a new clean shoelace and a no spill container of cheerios or fruitloops.  Make a snack necklace and then eat and make again.  Bendaroos are fun, small, not messy.  You can make little animals for him to play with or show him some letters with them.  You can make a chain of them or just bend them around in your hands.  velcro is fun for that age.  Make a folder matching game and attach that sticker velcro to the pieces and folder.  google folder games and you can shapes or pictures for the folder, cut them out, and cover with tape (laminate) them before you go.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)