Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Erythromycin eye cream

Posted by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM
  • 9 Replies

Anyone have any articles handy about dangers/side effects? I know it's not necessary if you don't have an STD, but I remember reading something before dd was born about it potentially causing vision problems, especially if there's already a genetic predisposition.

by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 4:39 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 30, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I thought I read that also, it is thick cream they are putting over the eyes can't be too good for you.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM
My boys get an infection from it everytime lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I've never read that but it causes blurry vision in all babies (well anyone who uses it actually)

Claudiajane
by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM
I tried get out of them putting it on my daughter, seriously, I have been married twelve years and quite sure my husband is faithful and there is no way I had an std but the hospital insisted. The nurse was nice enough to put way less than they usually do but still, my baby my decision, right?
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Yes. You can always ask that they test you for STD's in late pregnancy so you have "proof" that you don't need it.

Quoting Claudiajane:

I tried get out of them putting it on my daughter, seriously, I have been married twelve years and quite sure my husband is faithful and there is no way I had an std but the hospital insisted. The nurse was nice enough to put way less than they usually do but still, my baby my decision, right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rena_goldmoon
by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:42 AM
I can't remember where to find it but I know one of the side effects listed with it is blocked tear ducts. All the babies I know that had it had months of nasty goopy eye problems my first born included. My second did not get it and we had no problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on May. 31, 2012 at 1:53 PM

You have every right to refuse it. In my limited research before dd was born, I didn't read about causing long-term vision problems, but I do know that it does cause temporary vision problems. I just refused based on the fact that it wasn't needed. I didn't have problems with it - didn't even have to sign a refusal form (like I did with the hep b)

littlelambe2
by on May. 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Even if it is possible that your baby could be infected by an std you have, it isn't a 100% certainty of infection. You can watch your baby closely and take action should an infection pop up and have it dealt with before it becomes serious. I did a quick google search, but I can't find the sites I found over 2 years ago that helped me make this decision in the first 2 pages. Sorry but I can't search longer bcause I have to get off :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)