Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Should i be concerned?(updated w/ a belly pic in replies)

Posted by   + Show Post
At 7 1/2 wks I measured 12 wks, now at 9 1/2 wks I'm measuring 16 wks. For those of you who don't remember my previous post about suspicion of twins, should I be concerned? I plan on waiting until after 20 wks for ultrasound, if at all and am planning a home birth. BTW I am absolutely certain of dates, so what are other reasons for measuring large? This is my 4th pregnancy and I always measured right where I should be w/ all my others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
toopicky429
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Hcg levels are not an indicator of multiples.

Quoting jellyphish:

Maybe you could go to an ob to get blood drawn before then, I think hcg levels are higher in twin pregnancies aren't they?

Quoting RochelleFS:

I have an appointment with my midwife in 2 wks. I am seriously considering asking for an u/s, just to know. This suspicion is driving me crazy. I guess I'll have to wait and see what she says.

Quoting peaches_04:

It could be extra fluid

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM

i think so--

Quoting jellyphish:

Maybe you could go to an ob to get blood drawn before then, I think hcg levels are higher in twin pregnancies aren't they?

Quoting RochelleFS:

I have an appointment with my midwife in 2 wks. I am seriously considering asking for an u/s, just to know. This suspicion is driving me crazy. I guess I'll have to wait and see what she says.

Quoting peaches_04:

It could be extra fluid

doulala
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM

could be trips !!!

lol

larissalarie
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM
My sister always measured way ahead with her 1st pregnancy. 6 weeks ahead or more, very early on. They did an ultrasound thinking twins and it wasn't. They actually did another one a couple of months later for the same reason, still no twins. Her one single baby was born a whopping 5 pounds even, lol.

With my 3rd child I measured like 4 weeks ahead at my first appointment (I was always normal or small with my first 2) and it evened out and I was measuring "right" by the end. My baby was 9 pounds 12 ounces!

Those measurements are fairly meaningless, IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Sometimes, but not always. I have bloodwork coming up soon. Not sure if hcg is part of it, I'll check.

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting RochelleFS:

Quoting peaches_04:

It could be extra fluid

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Thank you!

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Good luck with your appointment.. :o) 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM
I will! :)

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Oh.. and please keep us posted! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Lol, now that would definitely cancel out my homebirth!

Quoting doulala:

could be trips !!!

lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jazmyne052010
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I'm expecting my 4th as well. With all my pregnancies "normal" measurement has been about 2 weeks ahead. Never had twins. Just babies over 8 pounds.

RochelleFS
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I really just want to be as informed as I can to all the possibilities. And it's not just the measurements that made me susspect twins. If it were just that it would be so much easier to brush off. Even with everything else, I do know twins are still fairly unlikely. But again I feel the need to be prepared since I would have to change my provider and birth plan if it is twins.

Quoting larissalarie:

My sister always measured way ahead with her 1st pregnancy. 6 weeks ahead or more, very early on. They did an ultrasound thinking twins and it wasn't. They actually did another one a couple of months later for the same reason, still no twins. Her one single baby was born a whopping 5 pounds even, lol.

With my 3rd child I measured like 4 weeks ahead at my first appointment (I was always normal or small with my first 2) and it evened out and I was measuring "right" by the end. My baby was 9 pounds 12 ounces!

Those measurements are fairly meaningless, IMO.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)