Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I'm still co-sleeping/bed-sharing with my 20 month old son, and also with my newborn daughter.

Everyone tells me to move my oldest to his own bed. I've given it thought...

I don't think I could possibly do it any time soon. I don't know how on Earth other women can sleep away from their babies!

To each their own, but just thinking about putting him in a totally different room, all by himself, scares me! First of all, he WANTS to still sleep with me, he wakes up once or twice a night and makes sure I'm still there, and secondly, if he were in a different room, what if something happened?

I know its crazy, but my mind strays to the most awful of situations! You dont hear about kids being abducted from their parent's room! But if they're all alone in their own room in a different part of the house it just leaves the door open for bad things to happen!

Can anyone relate? Or am I nuts for still wanting/accepting my kids in bed with me?

proprolife.gif picture by piink-lem0nade

Happily married Mama to one angelbaby, a son born 10-19-10, and a daughter born 3-20-12

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 5:29 AM
Replies (21-27):
mrsary
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:51 AM

I DO NOT like co sleeping once the baby starts sleeping wild. lol. I co slept with all of my children until they were about 18 months. My youngest is 2 and I sometimes wake up with him asleep next to me which is ok every now and then. But I LOVE having my huge California King all to myself!!! =). No what u are doing isn't wrong at all in my opinion, long as it is safe!!

peaches_04
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:56 AM
Im with ya on that one

Have you considered maybe his own bed in your room ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NaturalMamaCZ
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Still co cosleeping at 2.8 years and he doesn't want own bed yet and we don't believe in forcing or even pushing him toward it. He will go when he is ready . peace
abouttobeamom
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM
I co slept with both children....my oldest made her own decision to have her own bed and own room. She did it herself almost 2 yrs ago. I have no problem co lseeping, I even go to her room and fall asleep in there. The younger baby girl followed shortly after and they sleep in the same bed together. I will let them choose to add another bed when my oldest asks me. Until then I like to keep them very close and us very close :-)
abouttobeamom
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM
I actually have the separation anxiety lol
sara_7106
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM
We just started having my 2.5 year old sleeping in her own room. She's pretty good with it but I spend all night worrying and watching the monitor. I am excited for her to wake up so I can go get her and bring her back to our bed! I'm so glad I'm not alone in my feelings!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelseyciarah
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Thank you all for responding!

I did not mean to imply that those who do have their kids in a different room are endangering them.

And yes, I do practice safe co-sleeping habits. I have both my toddler and newborn in bed with me, (Hubby works nights so its just us 3), and I wake up at the slightest whimper. My toddler knows better than to go to my daughters side of the bed.

I sleep in the middle of them both, and we also side-car the crib, so its really an extension of our bed:)

proprolife.gif picture by piink-lem0nade

Happily married Mama to one angelbaby, a son born 10-19-10, and a daughter born 3-20-12

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN