Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Induction....need help deciding.

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM
  • 39 Replies
Ok so the first part of my birth plan is out the window. I need to be induced this week. For a variety of health reasons. So I just wanted my membranes stripped but I was told that breaking my water will def bring it on immediately. But I thought that would be more painful. Can anyone tell me based on their experiencewhich one will be faster and less painful and/or more manageable????
Dh and I need to make a decision soon.
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Liebevoll_mami
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM

i know some women whos water breaks sometimes do go into labor for daysssss. 

both of them arent 100% unfortunately =/ but i would go with the membranes. TBH...atleast that way you can still go home and not have to worry about it.

bbmkfo03
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I know if they break your water you have to stay at the hospital right? They won't let you go home. Where as stripping the membranes can be done in the office and you can go home after that.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM
what are the reasons for the induction?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bethiesmama
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM

If I had to choose, I would go with the membrane stripping for sure.  Afterward, just do your best to help the process along.  Walk and do all the other things that are supposed to help get labor going to give you your best chances of not needing further intervention.  Good luck! 

piwife
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM
My experience is this I got my membrane stripped with dd. I was 4 cm 75 % efface I went into labor 3 hrs later, they ended up having to break my water anyways:(. With ds my water broke and I didn't have any contractions for 6 hrs so the doctor ended up giving me pit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM
membrane sweep twice within 72 hrs if they will let you. That's wat did it for me. Along with a lot of birthing ball bouncing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaJewels2011
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a natural birth and haven't done much research on this so I don't have any advice. I just really wanted to say good luck to you and your family! This isn't how you planned it and I know that can bring a person down but don't let it. You're about to meet your beautiful LO for the very first time face-to-face!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM
6 moms liked this

If I had valid medical reasons for inducing- I would do the membrane stripping. My second, would be using a breast pump to stimulate contractions. The third, I would allow Cervidil and foley bulb, if I needed to do something further. And fourth, I would consider pit. I would REFUSE to my last breath them breaking my water. That is one of the oldest tricks in the book- "Oh, well, your water has been broken for 24 hours- time for c-section, to reduce your chance of infection." Sorry, Charlie, not goin' there! ; )

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Liebevoll_mami
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM

this this for sure!!!!!!

the breast pump should do really good....i know when they induced me (high blood pressure and i didnt have this group to support me.) they put that baloon thing up in there with a water bottle tied off at the end worked pretty well for me. 

i agree with her doing the water breaking as last resort. 

Quoting louzannalady:

If I had valid medical reasons for inducing- I would do the membrane stripping. My second, would be using a breast pump to stimulate contractions. The third, I would allow Cervidil and foley bulb, if I needed to do something further. And fourth, I would consider pit. I would REFUSE to my last breath them breaking my water. That is one of the oldest tricks in the book- "Oh, well, your water has been broken for 24 hours- time for c-section, to reduce your chance of infection." Sorry, Charlie, not goin' there! ; )

CafeMom Tickers

Hi, i'm Liz(20) and my beautiful daughters name is Myranda Marie! We have One on the way as well.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM

YEP!!!

Quoting louzannalady:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)