Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Castor Oil

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM
  • 26 Replies

Has anyone taken castor oil to jump start labor, and if so did it really work? Pros and cons please...............expecting baby

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:22 AM
No need to jump start labor. Baby will come when ready. Castor oil just causes intestinal spams (uncomfortable) and dehydration(from the diarrhea) which could cause the uterus to spasm and begin contractions but likely will only make it a miserable day for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I don't recommend it because who wants to spend most of their labor stuck on the toilet? :/

Inducing without reason can be harmful for the baby and cause a longer and more difficult labor too. I know it's hard but it's best to wait until labor starts on its own. Is there a reason you want or need to induce?

Cacophobia06
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:31 AM

It can dehydrate you which is obviously bad for the baby.  I wouldn't recommend it. 

mjrex87
by Mindy on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I was 42 weeks and tried castor oil as a last ditch effort to avoid the hospital since my midwife can't deliver past then... It did nothing but make me poop and puke. Not fun.

rena_goldmoon
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:39 PM
My mom said it was a terrible mistake. It was her worst labor ever because she was constantly throwing up and going diarrhea. Its like having the flu while in labor. Doesn't sound fun to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsrobin
by Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Spams. Ha!

Sorry. Just caught me as hilarious.

Castor oil is reported to be HORRIBLE for induction. labor is enough stress on your body. Don't add peeing out your butt to that list. Nasty.

Quoting melindabelcher:

No need to jump start labor. Baby will come when ready. Castor oil just causes intestinal spams (uncomfortable) and dehydration(from the diarrhea) which could cause the uterus to spasm and begin contractions but likely will only make it a miserable day for you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Pros-it sometimes starts up labor that is imminent

Cons-the reason it works is because it gives you painful bowel contractions, it's ineffective, if it does work you were probably gonna be in labor soon anyways

eleechick
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

i tried it and it did not work just caused really bad poops thats it. baby will come when baby wants to. I know that to be very very very true. It will only work if they baby is meant to come at that time so would have happened anyways without the oil

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Amberleigh81
by Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM
Diarrhea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Not my first choice!!
lol

There are risks---   so obviously factoring that in against your medical complications that require baby out (safer outside than in).

What issues are going on and have you been working to alleviate them?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)