Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Natural Childbirth

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM
  • 26 Replies

I have a few questions about natural childbirth for those of you who have been through the experience. I will be having my first baby, I'm 28 weeks pregnant at the moment and I've been doing some research on childbirth. I'm very interested in natural childbirth, because I would like to be conscious and aware throughout my labor and delivery if possible. I know it's going to be very tough, but what are some of the best methods? I've been reading about Lamaze, the Bradley method, and hypnobirthing. Is there one that works better than the other or is it good to just put them together? What worked for you?

BabyFruit Ticker

by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I like the bradley. But ultimately I just worked with my body.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Many people feel Lamaze is outdated and beneficial for doctors but not women. Bradley and hypnobirthing/hypnobabies are both great methods although you don't have to take a class or use them exclusively... really it's about putting together an eclectic method that you think will work best for you.

I read the Husband Coached Childbirth (Bradley) several times and pulled a few things out of it that we used but didn't follow it strictly. I also recommend The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin for your labor support and I'd encourage you to consider hiring a doula, especially if you will be in the hospital.

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I would start by reading any bok by ina may gaskin and you will have the right mindset on how to approach the pain management method that works best for you. I took the bradley method class offered at the place my midwife's office was, but really it was just reading all the books about best thing is just to be as relaxed as possible. It also helps to have support and belief that its a completely normal thing happening to your body. 

I reccomend a doula who knows how to give proper counterpressure, its such a relief. 

piwife
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
One word DOULA!! She was my support and dh. If it wasn't for them I would have thrown myself out the window.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

bump

JocelynsMama1
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry I'm not much help on telling you which method to use because I didnt really research much at the time...but I'm interested in trying hypnobirthing next time...I just knew i wanted to do everything natural and didnt give my self any other option. The laboring tub helps many peoples contractions but it did just the opposite for me, it pushed me into transition so it hurt like HELL but id do it the same next time just to help me progress...i firmly believe if you give yourself the right mind set you can do it! Good Luck!

Melame68
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Never used a method. I just listened to my body and followed my instincts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I did Hypnobirthing with my homebirth.  The best advice I can give is: don't stay in one spot, move around, don't be afraid of the contractions give into them, vocalize! Don't be scared to make noise, the deeper the sound the better it feels (honest!). EAT!!! Have a small snack or something if you are hungry. You need the energy to do this. You will know when it's time to push, but only push until it burns, then pant it out so that you stretch instead of tear. Good Luck!

LessPlastics
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I agree. I don't have experience with childbirth yet, but I believe the attitude you have going into it is a huge part of it. I believe I can do it!

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Sorry I'm not much help on telling you which method to use because I didnt really research much at the time...but I'm interested in trying hypnobirthing next time...I just knew i wanted to do everything natural and didnt give my self any other option. The laboring tub helps many peoples contractions but it did just the opposite for me, it pushed me into transition so it hurt like HELL but id do it the same next time just to help me progress...i firmly believe if you give yourself the right mind set you can do it! Good Luck!

BabyFruit Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN