Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I have a few questions about natural childbirth for those of you who have been through the experience. I will be having my first baby, I'm 28 weeks pregnant at the moment and I've been doing some research on childbirth. I'm very interested in natural childbirth, because I would like to be conscious and aware throughout my labor and delivery if possible. I know it's going to be very tough, but what are some of the best methods? I've been reading about Lamaze, the Bradley method, and hypnobirthing. Is there one that works better than the other or is it good to just put them together? What worked for you?

BabyFruit Ticker

by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Replies (21-26):
LessPlastics
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I've started on a birth plan, but how important is it to have a written plan when you go into labor? 

Quoting orangeshirt:

At 28 weeks, your OB should have already discussed this with you. It bothers me that docs wait for the patient to initiate this conversation...it should be something discussed thoroughly at the first appointment because you'll need to know each doctor's or hospital's standard procedures or policies. Many hospitals insist on an IV from the get-go and if that's not something you want, you'll have an acrimonious situation right off the bat. Have you devised a birth plan?
Quoting LessPlastics:

BabyFruit Ticker

orangeshirt
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM
VERY! Not only will it serve as a reminder for you, but your support people need to know what your desires are and what kind of birth you envision. The labor and birth process, due to its newness and discomfort, will cause you to forget about certain things or suddenly abandon plans because of the stress. Your birth plan will keep you on track. You can eve try to get your OB to sign it do that you know they have acknowledged your wishes.
Quoting LessPlastics:

H.I.S.
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM

BUMP!

LessPlastics
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I see, well I definitely have started on it. I'm going to some childbirth classes next month so I think I'll be able to fill it out a little better after I finish those. 

Quoting orangeshirt:

VERY! Not only will it serve as a reminder for you, but your support people need to know what your desires are and what kind of birth you envision. The labor and birth process, due to its newness and discomfort, will cause you to forget about certain things or suddenly abandon plans because of the stress. Your birth plan will keep you on track. You can eve try to get your OB to sign it do that you know they have acknowledged your wishes.
Quoting LessPlastics:

BabyFruit Ticker

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM

there were intervetions and things the hospital normally do that, although were not drug related, really effected the process and outcome.

For instance they made me feel rushed to have the baby, and kept on wanting to break my water to help labor progress, and I gave in.

They had me on moniters which restrained me to the bed, making me very much less mobile and very confined, which also caused labor to become more painful and stressful.

When pushing they did not allow me to push in the position I felt comfortable in (on all fours) because they coudn't see as well. They also were instructing my pushing, which was really distracting and frustrating for me, causing me to push when I no longer had that urge (and causing my baby's heart rate to drop).

They gave me an episiotomy and used a vacuum to get my baby out because his heart rate was dropping (because of all the above).

My baby wasn't breathing, he was taken to nicu, for shallow breathing and dropped heart rate).

After waiting 9 minutes the doctor decided to manually remove the placenta (pull it out). I had very many blood clots, went into shock, they put me on pitocin after he was born, which was extremely painful! I went into shock, found out that my uterus was inverted and taken to the OR to get it fixed.

So, I don't say this to scare you, just so that you understand that even a drug free hospital birth can be very invasive if you allow it. I knew that I did not want any of these things, but when you are in a vulnerable position, atleast for me, it was hard to voice what I wanted. I had a birth plan written, and many of these things were done anyways.  If i had to go back to the hospital I would have definitely had a doula with me to help me through it and stand up for what I wanted or didn't want.

Quoting LessPlastics:

What do you mean that the hospital one wasn't so natural?

Quoting Precious333:

I loved my bradley instructer and the class!  It wsa seperate form the hospital classes and provided pregnanyc, birth and post partum info.

Ihad one hospital birth and two homebirths, all drug free births, although the hospital was not quite so natural.   Let me know if you want to know anything.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
AugustMidge
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I say do your research and fing the one you think would fit YOU best. I just listened to my body. I didn't use one method or the other. 

Congratulations on your baby. :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)