Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I was curious to see what the mama's here use to clean your cloth diapers.

What detergent or homemade recipie worked best at cleaning your diapers?

Which deteregents or recipies were just a complete disaster?

by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Besides trying different cloth friendly detergents and soap nuts, I also used two 'homemade detergents.' The homemade detergents were my favorite.. :o)  

One was a mix of one cup washing soda, one cup baking soda, and one grated bar of soap.. one tb per load. The other was so simple.. one cup of baking soda in the wash cycle and one cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle. 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM
You probably already know, but stripping your diapers will get rid of the build up.

The Country Save detergent is sold at health food stores. I'm pretty sure Whole Foods and Sprouts both sell it. Trader Joe's detergent is also on the cd safe list. If you don't have any of those stores, just check whatever store you have or try another detergent on the list.

Quoting hapababies:

Honestly, I didn't know that there was some detergents that were better than others.  My biggest issue right now that I'm having with finding the right kind of detergent is 1) my son has sensitive skin, so I try to watch what I put next or on his skin; 2) Ever since I became pregnant with my first son, I have an adversion to the smell of detergent, it just smells like toxic air to me.  I have been using All Free and Clear, and you're right about how it has enzymes that causes buildup and stinky issues. I recently bought All Free and Clear with Oxi to see if that will help with the stink.

I never heard of Country detergent, thanks for suggesting it.  I went on their website and they sound like a good fit for my CD needs and my need to have a gentle, non smelly detergent. I don't know if they sell it here on the East coast, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Quoting jellyphish:

I have hard water and cd'ed my first for over two years, and am 2 1/2 months in cding again. I use very little detergent everytime and have never had a build up or stink issue. It could be the detergent you're using, I'm starting to notice a lot of cd moms don't know you can't use just any detergent.

Actually, the only time I've ever had to strip was when I bought used from a mom who didn't use the right detergents.

Here's a list of cd safe detergents

http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Anyway. I use about 1/4-1/3 scoop of country save. Love it

Quoting hapababies:

They should have a disclaimer on those wash instructions for those of us that have hard water. My diapers started stinking so bad until I started using more detergent.

Quoting TrentsMom84:

The biggest issue I had was I followed instructions and didn't put a full load's worth of detergent in the cycle-now I'm having issues with buildup.  We have hard water and need the full amount in the wash to combat particles in the water.  We're finishing up our Rockin Green Hard Rock and then switching to Tide Original powder.  I've never used homemade on diapers but I've heard they have the same buildup issues with hard water.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Do you know if your home detergents are HE friendly? I only have 10 diapers, should I still use the amounts of BS and vinegar you said or use less?
Thank you :)

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Besides trying different cloth friendly detergents and soap nuts, I also used two 'homemade detergents.' The homemade detergents were my favorite.. :o)  

One was a mix of one cup washing soda, one cup baking soda, and one grated bar of soap.. one tb per load. The other was so simple.. one cup of baking soda in the wash cycle and one cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ACsLady
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Rockin' Green is the best stuff I've come across. I had HORRIBLE issues with my diapers stinking no matter what I did...no strip wash or detergent (homemade or otherwise) was working for me. Rockin' Green did the trick though.

I also use it to get the stench of stink bugs out of our clothes. They like to get into my hubby's dark shirts (which are basically of them...) and stink them up.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Is this safe for all diapers? I'm not sure, but I think vinegar isn't safe to use regularly on diapers with PUL as it breaks down the waterproofness.
I think I heard this about soaking them though.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:32 AM

All was horrible! I have learned I can't do any liquid detergents. Right now I use Tide and Oxyclean and it works great. 

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Yes.. the ws/bs/soap recipe you can still use one tb, and with the bs/vin recipe I would cut the amount in half. 

Quoting hapababies: Do you know if your home detergents are HE friendly? I only have 10 diapers, should I still use the amounts of BS and vinegar you said or use less? Thank you :)

Quoting catholicmamamia: Besides trying different cloth friendly detergents and soap nuts, I also used two 'homemade detergents.' The homemade detergents were my favorite.. :o)  One was a mix of one cup washing soda, one cup baking soda, and one grated bar of soap.. one tb per load. The other was so simple.. one cup of baking soda in the wash cycle and one cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle. 

♥♥ Join us in  
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

JaxMomma78
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM
I have rockin green, and I love it. I have normal water tho. I looked for the trader Joe's cleanliness is Godliness one and I couldn't find it, unless they changed the name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

It would be hard (for me) to say if it is safe for all dipes.. I have not tried every diaper out there, and new ones are coming out all of the time. I can tell you what I have used.. prefolds, covers, fuzzibunz, rumparooz, grovia, bumgenius, econobum, flip, motherease.. and have not ruined a diaper yet with the detergents I have used. I believe what you heard about vinegar being a no-no for soaking to be true, but it is fine for rinsing. 

Quoting jellyphish: Is this safe for all diapers? I'm not sure, but I think vinegar isn't safe to use regularly on diapers with PUL as it breaks down the waterproofness. I think I heard this about soaking them though.

Quoting catholicmamamia: Besides trying different cloth friendly detergents and soap nuts, I also used two 'homemade detergents.' The homemade detergents were my favorite.. :o)  One was a mix of one cup washing soda, one cup baking soda, and one grated bar of soap.. one tb per load. The other was so simple.. one cup of baking soda in the wash cycle and one cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle. 

♥♥ Join us in  

EthansMomma129
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Tide original powder is amazing. Its made my diapers look and smell brand new again. No leaking or atink issyes like i had with other detergents. Im a firm beluever in using what works and not being dependent on a list. Ive spoken with more people than I can coubt who also swear by tide original. I do extra rinses to get all the detergent out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN