Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Solids

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM
  • 24 Replies

There's a post in the February group about letting babies taste food (like ice cream...seriously??) and of course a ton of moms are already feeding solids... Anyway, it got me thinking about how we're planning to start solids and I'd like to get some input. I was thinking at 6 months, we'd start with steamed veggies. Small pieces that she can feed herself and mush in her mouth easily. I don't want to spoon feed. I personally think that when a baby can feed themselves is when they're ready for food, not before. We're going to let her decide if she wants to eat or not. If she doesn't like it, we won't push it. 

So what do you all do for baby's first solids? Any favorites for first foods? Any general advice? Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I did the typical purée'd foods for the first month, but only one new food per week. I kept with the one new food per week. My son's favorite finger food was steamed sweet peas. I took the skin off each pea and let him feed himself. He graduated to bananas, steamed carrots, etc. He is now 11 months old, still no teeth, and eats corn on the cob all by himself without choking. I have not given him ice cream or those baby puffs yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in that group too and I love that for every mom who has given junk food there are just as many moms who are waiting until at least six months.

I plan on doing soft steamed vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes and fruits like bananas and avocado. And, like you, I will just set some safe foods out on a highchair tray and let her go to town. I feel like it's really more for development than nourishment anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM
I love your philosophy. I consider six months to be the minimum age to introduce solids, ten months the max.

Avocado is a FANTASTIC first food, especially since they're soft and can be given raw. Other great first foods are banana, sweet potato, and home cooked barley.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsrobin
by Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:23 PM
3 moms liked this
Food before one is just for fun. There us NO medical or physical need for splits foods before about a year.

What you're taking about is called child/baby led weaning. Letting them decide when and how much to eat. It's what we do and I believe it starts the child on a healthy eating path.

Forcing pureed foods bypasses the natural response to stop eating when full. And giving foods too early can cause allergy and gut issues later on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM
This is me too

Quoting jellyphish:

I love your philosophy. I consider six months to be the minimum age to introduce solids, ten months the max.

Avocado is a FANTASTIC first food, especially since they're soft and can be given raw. Other great first foods are banana, sweet potato, and home cooked barley.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Ummm since nutrition in formula is hard to digest sometimes in fact most time they need solids

Quoting mrsrobin:

Food before one is just for fun. There us NO medical or physical need for splits foods before about a year.

What you're taking about is called child/baby led weaning. Letting them decide when and how much to eat. It's what we do and I believe it starts the child on a healthy eating path.

Forcing pureed foods bypasses the natural response to stop eating when full. And giving foods too early can cause allergy and gut issues later on.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Yep

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:15 AM

We started around 8-9months. We did whole food. His first food was sweet potato. 

littlelambe2
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this
That's what we did with dd. We started at 6 months. She loved playing around with the food and sucking juices out of soft fruits like honeydew. She didn't really ingest much if anything until 9 months - and even then it was only about twice a week. She wasn't interested in solids as food to eat until 11.5 months when it seemed like a switch went off and she wanted to eat them everyday! We never mashed or ground anything. Just made sure it was whole foods that were soft enough to gum. I think it's called babyled solids. She'll be 2 next month and she eats solids beautifully. I'll be doing it the same with my next child. It's nice that even now she just eats when she's hungry and stops when she's full. And she always goes for the healthier foods first. (family is shocked that she prefers broccoli over French fries!)

It was so nice to let dd feed herself at mealtimes so I could eat too :) Dd did get antsy around 5 months because she was wanting to participate in mealtimes. We gave her a spoon and dish to play with, or a frozen cube of breastmilk in a mesh feeder (only thing we ever used that mesh feeder for).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twinnmom222
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I am in the February DDG too. I was surprised by some of the things the babes are "trying". To each their own. Isla is happy with boobies right now and I hope it stays that way for a while. I let my boys start playing with foods at 9 months. I won't consider purees or solids for Isla until earliest 6 months, but like with the boys it will be an as we go decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)