Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Back at it! PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM
mel
  • 6 Replies

I CD'd with my older 2 kids for about 1 year each. I gave all of mine away about 9mo ago and now i want to CD with my youngest (3m, 10lb) I stopped with the CD because of a laundry situation.

We used thirsty and bumgenius last time. I wasn't a fan of how long thirsty took to dry and i felt they held smell a little more and I wasn't a fan of pulling the wet/dirty inserts out of the bumgeius.They didn't bother me enough to stop using them. And i don't mind going back to them at all. Any better alternatives to this? When buying from WAHM what do i look for?

I want absorbancy without loads of bulk, cute patterns are always a plus :) ideally will fit for a while.

I don't want prefolds, i don't like how bulky they look feel, plastic covers etc.

I don't mind spending the money i just dont want to go broke getting CD. I'm looking to stay in the $200-$400 start up range.

I plan on buying a diaper sprayer to handle the poop (DH HATES the poop) any other useful ideas to help ease the poop removal :)

Cloth wipes? Which ones do you prefer? We didn't like our ones before they didn't clean up the poop very well. I'm hoping for softer ones that hold the poop when you wipe not push it around.

I've forgotten how to wash them. lol. I have a front loader washer. I know the Tide detergent worked fine for us last time so i was planning on using it again unless you ladies have a better detergent :)

Thanks for all the help! I appreciate all the time answering these questions :)

I tried posting in cloth booties but ive only gotten 1 reply

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mrs.Salz
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Wash is pretty simple and most diapers will come with instructions. I do one load cold water with extra rinse and no soap, second wash hot with extra rinse and soap. My favorite soap is our homemade. It's 1/2 bar fels naptha (grated) and mixed with 2 cups borax and 2 cups washing soda, use 1 TB per load. I add vinegar to the second load maybe every other week.

I just bought the cheapest cloth wipes I could find. I also have ones that I cut out of old receiving blankets.

I really like flip diapers from bumgenius. You can get a whole stash in the $250-300 range.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM
Since it's a front loader would I be able to mix the tblsp of detergent with water before putting it in?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Wash is pretty simple and most diapers will come with instructions. I do one load cold water with extra rinse and no soap, second wash hot with extra rinse and soap. My favorite soap is our homemade. It's 1/2 bar fels naptha (grated) and mixed with 2 cups borax and 2 cups washing soda, use 1 TB per load. I add vinegar to the second load maybe every other week.

I just bought the cheapest cloth wipes I could find. I also have ones that I cut out of old receiving blankets.

I really like flip diapers from bumgenius. You can get a whole stash in the $250-300 range.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I just put it in the soap dispenser at the top.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Since it's a front loader would I be able to mix the tblsp of detergent with water before putting it in?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Oh ok awesome! I didn't even know you could use powder with a front loader!!!!

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I just put it in the soap dispenser at the top.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

well since you are already past the newborn stage defiantely look for one size diapers. i personally am not a huge fan of BG because their velcro wears out too fast. actually i don't like velcro period because it doesn't deter small curious fingers like snaps do. lol. i already had a stash when i joined cm but i would suggest going to cwcb and jsut trying some different wahm dipes. maybe get some different kidns used so you can find what you like cheap?

i haven't used tide on my dipes but i hear great things about it. i know they make a regular tide for HE that is powder too.

Juniper53098
by June on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Since you don't like the drying time involved with your Thirsties (I'm guessing they're AIO's), and you don't like unstuffing the BG's, I'd suggest you try AI2's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)