Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I have a confession.....

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
So I have been in this group for a while, well since feb when I joined cafe mom. My confession....... I didnt have a natural birth. Wphew, glad I got that out. I have always been hesistant about sharing my birth story with my friends IRL and on here. My full intentions were to have a natural birth, I even wrote it in my birth plan to not have the epi. So here goes.....

When my water broke I called my mw first and she told me I could labor at home for 13 hours at home but to come in if my contractions got close together or the pain became to much. So I called my doula and let her know and she told me to relax, take a shower and try to get some sleep (it had just became midnight). So I did that but couldnt sleep and for whatever reason I called my doula to come over about 4 hours into it and she did. When she came over she helped me relax and I did fall asleep for about 5 hours or so. We woke up and she said that I should eat something before we go to the hospital. So since I craved IHOP pancakes my entire pregnancy, we ate there. As we sat and the waiter took our order I began to have contractions but gave my yummy order. The waiter asked me when I was due and we told him right now but little did he know I was in labor, lol. So by the time we get to the hospital its noon, get checked in and see the mw. I let her check me and I thought she would tell me I was at least a 5 or 6 but no she says I am barely a 2. What its been almost 13 hours now. Well she tells me to walk around the floor, use the ball and do some lunges to help open me up. Well I do this for a while and its now after 4 and she asks to check me so I let her, you are still a 2! WHAT!! She says I would like start pit but its up to you. So she lets us talk, I consult my doula because I am scared I have heard horror stories about this stuff. So I decide ok lets do it, she says she will start slow and she does. As the hours pass 6, 7, and so on they move it up. Dealing with the contractions on pit was so hard, ugh... Well its now 2 am (been in labor for 26 hrs), I am at level 10 on the pit and she asks to check me and I let her, your a 4. At this point I am crying not from the pain but more WTH! My doula comes over to talk with me and I start crying and tell her how I dont understand whats happening and how exhusted I was. She says to me now remember in class (her 8 week birth edu class) I said how there are rare instances when a epi can be helpful? I said yes, she says well this may be one of them. She began to tell me how a low dose of the epi (no drip) can relax some women and can help them dialate and make some sleep. I cried for 10 mins because my hope of a natural birth was already out the window. So I decided to get the epi, it was.just about 3 when I got it and within a few minutes I was knocked out. I slept for about 6-7 hours! When I woke up we called the mw in and she checked me and I was a 9, then she said wait a min let me try something. Not sure what she did but I became completly efaced and ready to push. I was asked if I wanted more epi but said no. So I began pushing and about a hr into it the Dr. my mw works under comes in and says this has gone on long enough we need to section her but my mw said no we are having this baby vaginally get out! He came in 2 other times before I pushed my son out. I never needed to be told to push I felt the urge and my body doing it and I found out why its called the ring of fire! After 2 hours of pushing my son was delivered, I bf him right away with no issues and none to this day!
So why did I finally decide to share? Well I recently found a great article written by Code Name:Mama about not being ashamed of how your birth went down and to embrace it, so thats what I am doing! Thanks for listening and sorry it was so long!
CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danita42
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM

BUMP!

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow you did amazing:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry you didnt get the birth u wanted
((hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melame68
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM
An empowering birth is the goal. Not natural at all costs. Your situation called for pain management. You did excellent. And there is no reason to feel guilt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danita42
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Quoting peaches_04:

Sorry you didnt get the birth u wanted
((hugs))

Thank you! Its cool I am fine with it now, I did what I felt was necessary at the time!
CafeMom Tickers
Danita42
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Melame68:

An empowering birth is the goal. Not natural at all costs. Your situation called for pain management. You did excellent. And there is no reason to feel guilt.

Your right I know thats the goal, however I did not get the epi for pain management. I got it help me relax to dialate and hopefully sleep which I did. I was managing the pain just fine by my self (not in a rude tone at all)
CafeMom Tickers
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this
That is an amazing birth story. I bet if you hadn't gotten the epi your body would gave tightened up and you would have ended up with a c section. So what if it wasn't "completely natural" you felt your baby leave. You pushed that baby out. And once your body figured it out and dilated, it knew what do do! Congrats on an amazing birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danita42
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Quoting MissSarah04:

That is an amazing birth story. I bet if you hadn't gotten the epi your body would gave tightened up and you would have ended up with a c section. So what if it wasn't "completely natural" you felt your baby leave. You pushed that baby out. And once your body figured it out and dilated, it knew what do do! Congrats on an amazing birth.

Thank you!
CafeMom Tickers
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I dont think moms should be afraid to share their birth story, no one can make the decisions you have to make at that moment but you, no one else was in your mind and body.  Embrace your birth and share with the world, congrats on your birth!

Danita42
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I dont think moms should be afraid to share their birth story, no one can make the decisions you have to make at that moment but you, no one else was in your mind and body.  Embrace your birth and share with the world, congrats on your birth!

Thank you!
CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)