Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

was natural birth harder mentally or physically

Posted by   + Show Post
For you personally was it mentally/emotionally hard or physically?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
tansyflower
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:49 PM

the first time? both.  the second time?  neither.

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Physically. 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM
With my first son, it was mentally, physically, and emotionally hard. I was not so smart and did no preparation for a natural birth. Pretty much showed up to the birthing center thinking I knew everything from reading mainstream books and articles.
Second son, I was cool and calm until transition, then it was mentally and emotionally difficult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara_7106
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Physically for me....dd was face up and I pushed for 5 hrs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JazzysWifey
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM
well physically, which led to mentally because i was SO exhausted from it, but the recovery was a million times easier and i will hands down never NOT go natural
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 1:13 AM
Physically, absolutely.
I went into it honestly thinking the pain wouldn't be that big of a deal. I'm lucky enough to have mostly pain free menstruation and was surrounded by women who moaned & complained and carried on about it. So I decided it was mental and that birth was the same and not nearly as painful as women make it out to be....boy was I surprised! Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janislacrosse
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM
I was very prepared mentally. I had read so much about labor, took a HypnoBirthing course, visualized labor beforehand, etc. So, the majority of labor felt pretty easy to get through.

It became physically challenging a bit during transition and mentally during pushing.

Pushing wasn't mentally challenging because of pain- I actually thought it felt good to push- but, I was having a big baby and my midwife was concerned about his shoulders getting stuck. She pulled an OBGYN in to assist and with them as well as a team of nurses, things in the room got very serious. The OBGYN luckily was pretty wonderful, but did warn me about what could go wrong if he got stuck, including an emergency c-section worst case scenario.

So, I had to work very hard mentally during pushing to stay positive and keep believing I could do it.

Ultimately, I got baby boy out- unfortunately, with an episiotomy- but I did it.
He was 10lb. 2oz.

Mama to baby boy Lincoln... born May 19, 2012

melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:34 AM
dd1-not hard at all, took me a minute to realize I was in transition once I realized it I was fine
Dd2-physically-for 15min from begining of transition to delivery
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltyalley1227
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:44 AM
Mentally. Just concentrating ton relaxing and such was the hardest part.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilynAustin
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I think for me it was an emotional thing.  I wasn't getting the support I needed.  I needed someone to help me with positions, breathing, etc during transition.  Instead I broke down and got an epidural with my last baby.  This one will be born at home, so I am hoping my midwife will be a much better form of support, and being at home will be more calming!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)