Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What is a normal length of time...

Posted by   + Show Post

For a newborn to wait before bfing?

I ask because I dont remember any of my boys rooting or wanting to nurse straight away (one I had an epi, two with no drugs). But I was watching The Leaky B@@bs birth video yesterday and as soon as she pushed the baby out she pulled her dress off and put baby to breast. 

Is it normal and ok for baby to wait a few minutes (Im talking less than an hour) before nursing? Do you follow babies lead or try right away?

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Replies (11-18):
Melame68
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Immediately sounds about right
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM

It is the norm in the States for babies to wait until after they are poked and prodded. The only exception is if mom is strong and says no and is firm OR is she births in a baby-friendly designated facility/birthing center/home birth. And immediately offers the most benefit. Nothing more than 50-20 minutes is ideal, if for some odd reason immediate cannot happen. Babies born after an epi, are more lethargic and do tend to have latching issues because of the lethargy. Here is a video on baby led latching. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYcpkYrOPBE

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

WackadooMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
About 20 minutes after my son was born, I started to stress that I hadn't tried to nurse him yet. The nurses told me to relax lol. I had read so much about nursing soon after birth that I started to panic that I had missed the window lol. Thankfully I hadn't and he proved to be a good nurser :)
RochelleFS
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM

As soon as my babies were placed on my chest they began rooting and looking for the boob. lol. DH always thought it was so cute watching brand new wobbly heads already searching out a meal. :)

JazzysWifey
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM
yup what was said. doesn't have to be within minutes, just whenever you're ready but sooner the better at the same time. my son latched right away and didn't stop for 90 minutes- and i had to break his latch just so I could get up and get comfortable! my daughter took a bit longer to get latched
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 12:32 AM
I agree. With my youngest (natural birth) he was placed on my chest immediately but it was close to 20 minutes before he nursed and I encouraged him to nurse at that point because I was hoping it might move my placenta along.

Quoting doulala:

I don't think it makes sense to nurse a baby immediately after they come out--     anywhere from a minute or two to several minutes, even 20 or 30 minutes later seems reasonable imo.        I wouldn't want to wait too much longer without just offering (not forcing) because baby will receive comfort and nourishment through nursing.

;-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyjenn84
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 12:36 AM
I follow babys lead but its always been within maybe 20-30 mins, if not less after I get into recovery... And thays usually 20 mins or so after birth. As soon as im in recovery, they get put on my chest skin to skin
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 1:43 AM
At the baby friendly hospital baby was put immediately to breast. That was absolutely my easiest start to breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)