Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

HELP!!! How do you STOP cosleeping!?!

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM
  • 11 Replies
I don't call myself an "attachment parenting" parent I think of myself as more of an intuitive parent and am really flying by the seat of my pants on most parenting issues! My Mother passed away before I became a mother and I really have no one I can turn to for parenting advice so have really relied on doing what worked and seemed right...

Hence when my first born slept better in the bed with us (I have really struggled with sleep issues from day one with my now 4 year old daughter) then that's where she slept, but now after 4 YEARS of cosleeping and my 18 month old beginning to cosleep as well I am DESPERATE for a good nights rest!!

How do you STOP cosleeping!? My oldest refuses to sleep in her own bed. Even when that bed is in the same room with me she WILL NOT sleep there. If she starts out there she ends up in my bed at some point in the night and now my 18 month old (who up until recently has been a great sleeper) refuses to sleep anywhere other than in the master bed. I need some ideas for an easy transition OUT OF MY BED!

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Maybe start with a crib matress on the floor next to your bed and slowly move it further away til.its in their room?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erina320
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Both girls have their own beds (a pack and play and a mattress on the floor) in my room and neither will sleep there. They both also have their own rooms and neither will sleep there either...

I am so wore out that I just don't fight it anymore and let them both sleep in my bed. Any attempt to get them to sleep in their own beds results in hours of crying and frustration. I don't want to leave either of them to CIO after avoiding it thus far.
sara_7106
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM
We have similar problems. My dd does fall asleep with dh in her own room now. We put a full size bed in her room, and after he falls asleep, he sneaks out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
H.I.S.
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I never co-slept, but here's a BUMP!

Nee86
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM
I was talking to my mom about this today because I'm having the same problem with dd. My mom was telling me that I was the only one she had that problem with. It started when I stopped sharing a room with my brother. Her thought was I was lonely by myself and it was comforting to have someone else close. Maybe try putting the kids in the same room? Maybe that would help?
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Full size bed for both kids to sleep in

Sleep with one kid in one bed while significant other shares with the other in another bed

Practice cosleeping manners with the older one: when getting into bed in the middle of night we need to be quiet so we don't wake mommy up, bring your own pillow/blanket, whatever might make it more tolerable for you

Ask her why she doesn't want to sleep in her own bed-maybe that will give you insight into how to solve it

heathermarie27
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Ds stopped on his own at 6 months. Sorry momma. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Have you tried sleeping in their room with them? We had to do that with dd. Every few days we would move further and further away until she no longer needed us in the room or hallway. 

truealaskanmom
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:22 AM

put them in a ned together in their room that is what my older 2 do it was an easy transistion 

gma12.1
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Wish I could be some help for you. My granddaughter is special needs and I raise her, she co-slept with me and Papa for 6 years. She got a princess toddler bed for her birthday one year we put it in our room where the headboard touches my side of the bed, she slept in that for a little over a year then she was willing to move into her sisters room. Maybe a special bed for her would work? The other would be trying to put both kids in a bed together and see if that would work, maybe on the floor in your room?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)