Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Sore throat remedies for a 4 year old? *Update in Red* We had to go to the ER last night.

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:44 AM
  • 21 Replies

My daughter woke up this morning with a major sore throat, I looked with a flash light and everything is raw and red and swollen.

I gave her yogurt for breakfast (her favorite food) and she ate one bite and wouldn't eat any more. I gave her some honey Cinnamon tea but she refused to drink anything. I even tried her favorite cup (my cup) with water, nope. 
I am about to freeze some chocolate milk in our popsicle maker for her.
Is there anything else that people normally have in their house that I can use to help her?

She is rarely sick, and has never had a sore throat before. Our HP is out of town this week and since it is a small office he is the only doctor, so we are on our own here.

HELP!! 

Well at about 10pm my daughter woke up and couldn't breath. She sounded like a seal, and kept grabbing her throat and couldn't move air well at all. So we call 911 and they took her to childrens. She calmed down on the way there and was able to breath better, but still couldn't breath well. So they checked her out and she has Croup. She wasn't coughing at all yesterday, and was breathing fine, it was just so sudden and scared the crap out of us. 

Cloth diapering, Co-sleeping, Toddler wearing, breastfeeding advocate, ERFing, attachment parenting, home schooling, hippie at heart!
 TTC a 2013 Baby!!!!!!
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsAdorkable
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Slippery elm tea. I always liked mine extra thick when I had a sore throat.

Also, cayenne powder, minced garlic, and honey mixture... I want to say it is 1 part cayenne & garlic to 2 parts honey but you could probably play around with it to get something she will take.

RochelleFS
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM
I use raspberry tea with lemon and honey. A teaspoon of plain honey also works well to coat and soothe a sore through while having antibacterial properties.
H.I.S.
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

This is my go-to anytime someone in our family gets a sore throat :) 

Mommy2justone
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM
Thanks ladies! After coaxing some honey down her she seemed fine. Finished off the night with a chocolate milk popcicle for extra cooling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Phenley
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM

DD likes warm apple juice with honey when she has a sore throat. She has pretty bad seasonal allergies so she gets them a lot. I've done it myself a couple times and it does help.

Mommy2justone
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Bump for update

melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Awww poor baby :(
I hope she feels better soon!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Croup sucks. My girls had it last year. If she gets into a coughing fit a quick burst of cold air helps like holding her in front of the freezer and opening it for her to breathe in. 

EthansMomma2010
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM
omg we had the same thing last night. Croup is seriously the scarriest thing ever because of how sudden!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Yeah, we have a floor unit air conditioner in our bedroom that we had to use last night when she got upset and started crying and couldn't breath again. It worked well and she seemed better this morning. A little crabby, and she says her belly hurts though :( 

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Croup sucks. My girls had it last year. If she gets into a coughing fit a quick burst of cold air helps like holding her in front of the freezer and opening it for her to breathe in. 

Cloth diapering, Co-sleeping, Toddler wearing, breastfeeding advocate, ERFing, attachment parenting, home schooling, hippie at heart!
 TTC a 2013 Baby!!!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)