Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

essential oils for labor

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM
  • 16 Replies
What are some good e.os to have on hand for labor and why?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Clary sage is THE birthing mom's oil because it strengthens contractions. (Do NOT handle cs before labor for this reason, don't even be in the same general area when someone else handles it.) It's also good pp for this reason.
After that it's really about creating the environment you'd like. Lavender and chamomile oils are great for establishing a calm, soothing environment for you and your babe.
Diffusing lemon oil into the air will help clean the air, keeping pathogens at bay, and uplifting your spirits. It's a good one for encouragement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM
I was hoping youd reply:)

Quoting jellyphish:

Clary sage is THE birthing mom's oil because it strengthens contractions. (Do NOT handle cs before labor for this reason, don't even be in the same general area when someone else handles it.) It's also good pp for this reason.

After that it's really about creating the environment you'd like. Lavender and chamomile oils are great for establishing a calm, soothing environment for you and your babe.

Diffusing lemon oil into the air will help clean the air, keeping pathogens at bay, and uplifting your spirits. It's a good one for encouragement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Cypress oil is really good pp too, especially for soaking in, as it strengthens blood vessels. Very helpful with hemorrhoid and pp healing. Do NOT try to massage your perineum with it during labor, though, as you dont want babe to come in contact with the oils right away, they're way too strong for that and could be especially harmful if it gets in baby's eyes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM
You said "essential oils," I didn't have a choice!! :)

Quoting peaches_04:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Lol that literally made me laugh out loud:)

Quoting jellyphish:

You said "essential oils," I didn't have a choice!! :)

Quoting peaches_04:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM

bump so i can find

peaches_04
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM

lemon or lemon grass? or does it not matter

Quoting jellyphish:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Lemon.
Lemongrass actually has nothing to do with lemon, totally different plant.

Quoting peaches_04:

lemon or lemon grass? or does it not matter

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this

My doula passed this document along to me; apparently it comes from the midwifery program at Sydney Uni. I really wish I knew the original source. I will copy/paste:

AROMATHERAPY FOR LABOUR AND BIRTH 

·       Clary sage - relieves tension and pain, good for compresses.  (Do not use with gas or general anesthetic).

·       Rose - Can stimulate contractions, assist circulation and encourage deep, calm breathing.

·       Lavender - Dulls and eases uterine pain, soothes aching legs and back, increases strength of contractions, antiseptic.

·       Jasmine - Strengthens contractions, can assist breathing.  Calming, yet uplifting.  Goes well with Lavender.

·       Ylang-Ylang - Calming, good for rapid heartbeat/fear/anxiety, can lower blood pressure.  Can be applied to the solar plexus area to calm mother. Also good in burner.

·       Frankincense and Black pepper are warming and can be used for a foot massage.

·       Mandarin, orange, bergamot and lemon - calming, yet uplifting.

Oils can be massaged into feet, abdomen, shoulders and back, added to foot bath, used in water for compresses or placed on a hankerchief to inhale.

Combinations:

·       General massage - 6 drops Jasmine and Lavender in 50ml. Almond oil.

·       Compress - Add 2-3 drops Clary Sage, Jasmine or Lavender to 300 ml. Warm water.  Dip in cloth or nappy and place over lower back and/or abdomen to relieve discomfort.

·       Mop face with cool water during transition, adding 2-3 drops of Rose, Neroli or Lavender.

·       Blend for Second Stage - 6 drops Nutmeg, Clary Sage, Geranium and Jasmine in 50ml. Almond Oil.  Massage over back or thighs - relieves pain, increases circulation, relieves panic.

·       Blend for Third Stage - Add 2-3 drops of Jasmine to a bowl of warm water, dip in cloth and apply to lower abdomen.  Keep in place until placenta is delivered. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN