Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Curious.. Anyone NOT like being in water during labor?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM
  • 16 Replies

I just had DS in May.. And I was so excited to get the chance to see what all the birthing tub hype was about.. Well, while laboring at home I decided to try to rest in the shower & it didnt help at all... Then once we got to the birthing center I practically ran straight to their big birthing tub (already ready for me) wanting to relax after the car ride, only to find it only made me more aware of my contractions... Its like the water relaxed everything on my body BUT my belly, making me even more aware....

Anyone else not love the water?

(Dont let this deter anyone from trying water though! I can understand why it would be awesome, but everyone is different & this is something that was different for me, if I had another baby Id still try to hop in the tub to see if it felt different, since every labor is different)

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM
I was wondering about this too
Especially warm water when I was in labor with my first I was sooooooo hot and begging people to put more ice on me.
I just cant see warm water being appealing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I liked that it decreased the intensity of contractions but I didn't like the water being too hot so I ended up needing to add hot water often.

MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I wasnt hot during labor, but being cold calms my nerves for some reason, so on the ride to the BC they had the AC on FULL BLAST as cold as it could get.

The short period of time I was in the tub I ask DH to put the fan on me. Now I do remember that feeling amazing. The Hot tub and then the cold air hitting me was pretty great!

The hot water did seem to relax the rest of my body, and felt good. But it intensified the feelings going on with my stomach!

Quoting peaches_04:

Especially warm water when I was in labor with my first I was sooooooo hot and begging people to put more ice on me.

Ankles
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:43 PM
I spent most of my time in the shower. When I did get in the tub it was only for a few mintues. I think I wasn't quite ready to "relax" I still wanted to walk around. The next thing I knew I was pushing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bensmom1322
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:32 PM

When I was at home I was in the shower constantly with the water beating down on my stomach and as soon as I got to the birth center I got in the tub.  I loved it, I thought about getting out and pushed one time out of the water and it hurt soooooo much more than when I pushed in the water, so I stayed!  However my midwife says she sees woman all the time who try to give birth in the water but then decide to get out!  :)

rfurlongg
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM
I did not. It made me very, very, nauseous. The begining of labor was fine, buy once I hit transition I wanted nothing to do with the tub. My MW and doula tried to coax me back in, but I threw up so they left me alone. I tried the tub in 2 of my 3 births.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I drank a TON of ice water while I was in the water.

Quoting peaches_04:

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I liked being in the shower because the water hitting my back during contractions felt good.

I initially liked the water because I could move around more freely but after awhile it wasn't really helping. Most people I know loved their waterbirths though. I will probably try again.

VintageWife
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM
I want a water birth sometime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltyalley1227
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this
It just made me feel like I was drowning. It's hard enough to focus on feeling in control during a contraction. I did not like feeling out of control in the water. Again, that was just me. My labor ball was my best friend though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN