Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
My mw told me whatever floor I birth on plan on living on that floor for the first day or two because you wont be able to go up and down stairs

I never would have even thought of that!!!!!

How long did it take after your birth before you could take on stairs????

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Replies (41-50):
Mindbabybody
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:10 AM
I had a Homebirth and did the stairs the next morning. My midwife didn't say I couldn't do the stairs. Good luck to you!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjrex87
by Mindy on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Have your midwife explain to him that he needs to do everything for you for the first couple of days or you risk bleeding out...which would land you in the hospital, with bills that you don't need...and then he would DEFINITELY be doing everything for you, only for much longer!

Quoting peaches_04:

Unfortunatly my dh is a lazy ass and ill have to still do everything;(

Quoting mjrex87:

This! Everyone will be taking care of you, bringing you everything you need. Just stay in bed with baby.

Quoting themissheather:

I was sore moving around for the first week or so, but it was doable. My midwife told me to expect to feel like you got hit by a bus and I think that's true of however/wherever you give birth. What you are able to do depends on how delivery goes. You don't really have any business (other than the bathroom) worth getting out of bed for for the first few days anyway.

tansyflower
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM

i think there is a very very slight chance that it could.  the way she explained it afterward is that when the uterus has been stretched out (in order to carry a full term baby) right after birth the walls are thinner than it would be when it contracts down to size.  *sometimes* it can prolapse.  BUT think about it this way.  in many indiginous countries woman go from giving birth back to regular life within hours and never have an issue.  keep in mind that they dont have furniture like chairs and spend a lot more time sqautting in their every day life than we westerners do so their core strength is 20 times better than the average american woman.  plus their huts dont haves stairs ;P

but seriously i dont think that saying "no stairs" means that you wont be able to walk up and down them, i think it just means make a plan to take it easy and spend as much time resting as you can since that will give you the most skin on skin time in order to have the baby on the breast as much as possible.  the breastfeeding will contract the uterus back down much faster and that in itself will decrease the chance of a prolapse!

Quoting peaches_04:

Can your uterus really prolapse or is that just a scare tactic mw use to get you to take it easy?

Quoting tansyflower:

with my first hb I was running up and down the stairs of my house within a half hour or so after giving birth.....my midwife kept yelling at me "GO SIT DOWN BEFORE YOUR UTERUS PROLAPSES!" But I was so freaking high on endorphins I honestly felt like I was flying! Looking back I still laugh about it :-)

lundaylove
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

i did stairs 24hrs after my first vbac and since i had 4th degree tearing that hurt like a bitch. but after my homebirth i could have ran a marathon. the only thing that hurt me was the afterbirth contractions. as it was i was riding roller coasters 2 weeks pp without any problems and my bleeding had already stopped and everything. 

having a gentle birth makes all the difference

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I was sore and it hurt like hell to do steps. I only went upstairs for bed and DH carried me up until it no longer hurt.

Hyman
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM
I could do stairs right away. But it would be better if you didn't bc it just will make you sore (assuming you have even the tiniest of a tear while delivering) and swelling ... I wish I would've taken it easier. I swelled up awful and was extremely sore.

But you can do it ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thundersky
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

two or three days

Quoting peaches_04:

How long were u in the hospital?

Quoting thundersky:

i lived in a two story aprtment and was walking up and down the stairs right after i got out of the hospital and had no problems.

littlelambe2
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM
This. In fact, I was climbing them from the day I gave birth and our stairs are "upside down". (11" rise, 7" tread)

Quoting mommaoftwo:

I could go upstairs. Everyone is different.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monkeybunns
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM
I had a split level entry townhome when I brought both boys home. I came home after 24 hrs with ds2 and did the stairs many many times that day including while holding ds and had almost a 3rd degree tear.
FebPenguins
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM
With my first birth I did the stairs too much. I had birthed at the freestanding birthing center, but went home 6 hrs after delivery. We don't have a potty upstairs, but my bed was and I didn't even consider it. Well 3 days later, I had only what I can describe as a handful of grapes down there. Not comfy at all. With my first "official" hb, I started sleeping downstairs in the living room on an air mattress for the last four weeks of pregnancy and then the first at least 3 weeks postpartum. This time I am getting a "real" bed. The air mattress was okay, but too close to the floor and hard to get up from.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)