Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old was your baby before you started baby food?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM
  • 23 Replies

I am just wonderinng because my dd is almost seven months and we just started her on puree veggies and fruit.but she lately has been backed up in her little tootter. I mean its been  bad she was crying to pass a bowel. i just dont know what to do. Any one have any suggestions, any experiences that would help me.

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hyman
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I never did babyfood. Are you breasfeeding?

I let my son have solids via Baby led weaning (google and you'll find tons of info).

Not sure if you're Breastfeeding, but if you are, maybe just offer your milk for a while until she isn't constipated anymore. Than retry. Or not. Maybe she's not ready for solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweetheart08
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM

yes I breast feed but she wants my food while i am eating , I mean she will stop nursing to grab at what i am eating so that why we have been giving her puree, which i make my self.

Hyman
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this
Hmm I highly suggest looking into babyled weaning.

My son did the same thing, actually starting when he was 4 months old. I let him just suck on lettuce, bc it was salad I was having.

It was so easy. I craved sweet potatoes for a while, so I would give him half of mine, and he'd play with it. Mush it and gum it.

Basically, when you see signs that they're ready, which she is exhibiting, you offer food from your own plate.

It's easiest to start with things cut into a mans finger width and stick shape.

I did all different fruit and sweet potatoes. Oh and veggies - steamed or raw or roasted - and carrots were amazing for teething and so is raw celery bc it's numbing - He even had calamari, hummus etc

Now since like 9 months he has meat too. He basically eats everything.

It's very very easy.

Don't forget that if baby gets sick or something you can just Breastfeed only. I do that with my son. (and he's 11 months)Some days they'll be more hungry or with no appetite just like us.

Look it up! Its way easier than purées on you.

Ask me any questions ever :)

http://www.babyledweaning.com/

And you can also give her figs or dried dates ( like the mushy Turkish ones) just take out the pit.

Or try dr Schultz intestinal formula (1/2 tsp) - I always have that in my cabinet. Its all natural.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweetheart08
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM

oh okay thanks your very helpful! :)

LondonsMomma84
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM
This.

Quoting Hyman:

I never did babyfood. Are you breasfeeding?

I let my son have solids via Baby led weaning (google and you'll find tons of info).

Not sure if you're Breastfeeding, but if you are, maybe just offer your milk for a while until she isn't constipated anymore. Than retry. Or not. Maybe she's not ready for solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Make sure you nurse fully before giving ANY solids...avoid bananas they tend to back kids up and avoid grains they back things up too

littlelambe2
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM
We started baby led solids at 6 months. Dd just played with the food until about 9 months, when she actually started swallowing some of it. Even then, she only "ate" solids 2-3 times a week. She wasn't interested in solids as food until 11.5 months, when she all of a sudden went gung ho and started demanding them to eat a couple times a day. Haha. It kind of scared me :) the change was so drastic. Now at 2 yrs old she's a solids pro.

I'll do the same method with this next baby. Remember to wait until at least 6 months, and nurse immediately before offering. Also, a serving is really only 1 tsp at this point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudMom2634
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM

hello, my DH loves mashed potato with breastmilk. She is 15months now and still loving it. But you can also use other veggies. I also use carrots, squash (not much my DH don't enjoy this when its too many) and others. Goodluck!!

Amanda_Laparra
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM
My daughter didn't have solids untill a year old. And now at 16 months she still doesn't get that much solids. She mostly nurses.
WackadooMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM
My son used to have issues with constipation and I found prunes and pears help. Also avoid bananas, rice cereal and cooked carrots as they contribute to constipation.
I started my son on solids at 4 months which I know is young but it was the right choice for him. His constipation issues didn't start until about 6 months when he was eating more and starting to nurse less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)