Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

mamas of intact boys...

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 33 Replies
The mainstream world really portrays circumcision as the norm. What was your first time learning that not every boy is circed? What made you decide to even look at the alternatives? And what was your deciding factor to go that route instead?

My first husband was intact. That was the first id ever known of a boy not being circed. It wasn't weird or ugly or gross. It just was what it was. We had 2 girls together, but we had agreed that any boys would be intact. Just because its ok and normal and there's not reason to circumcize them when we both know first hand its not a big deal.
I never really researched anything until after my second daughter. My mind was already made, intact period. But I wanted to know more. So I learned about the procedures and risks and why to stay intact and why one wouldn't want to..etc. the first baby I ever saw was a close friend came home to visit. She had a 3 month old son. She had to leave him with me at one point to run and pick up her husband for a bbq. I changed his diaper and he was intact. It was actually something that made me very proud of her. Here was this first time mama all alone (army wife) and she made and informed decision and didn't do something just because that's what you do. it was a bit of a struggle convincing my second husband that it was better. Eventually an article in mens health about a man who could not get an erection due to his circumcision ended his stand on it. Not worth it! It became a "why fix what isn't broken" thing for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LondonsMomma84
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I researched every decision, "norm" or not, before my son was born. One day I brought it up to my DH that I did not want to circ our baby (DH is cut) and he said "Good. They didn't let me choose and I am mad about it. Let our son make his own decision." it was just too easy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amanda_Laparra
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:04 PM
My sister in law is a doctor and told me how they do it and the pro and con of doing it. So my husband and I decided not to do it. Then when my son was a month old I saw a video of how they do it and was glad we didnt get it done.
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:50 PM
I regret the decision to have my oldest circ'd. I was young and thought it was just what you did. Come to find out my parents did not circ my oldest brother at birth. He was circ'd later when the dr's told them his foreskin was growing together (chances are good that that was an incorrect diagnosis). My two younger sons are intact because I researched it. When I found out how it was done I knew I could never do that again! I told my DH (he is not the bio dad of my oldest) that if he could sit through a video of a baby being cut and still agree that it was the best thing then we would have it done. He wouldn't even watch the video and we have two intact boys! He was really more worried that it would be hard to care for which is soooo far from reality :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:59 PM

When my oldest was born I thought everyone did it, every male I had ever seen was cut including my hubby.  I knew my dad had to have it done at 13 because of an infection so I had my first 3 sons done without question.  Only til my 4th did I question it and my hubby basically fought me on it...our marriage was falling apart over this so I went ahead with it.  NOW hubby is to the point that he will agree not to cut...maybe.  So progress is being made

Pugsmuggler
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:01 PM
It's normal to not circ in both our families, it was never considered if we would or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I have a very mixed history.  My brother was left intact.  Most baby boys I've been around have been intact.  Every male I've been with has been circed and I haven't seen a lot of intact adult males.

When I found out I was having a boy I told DH I was willing to have a conversation but that I was gonna have a lot of facts to discuss.  We ultimately decided that if our son was interested in having a circumcision later on we would gladly discuss it with him and set up an appointment with a urologist to talk about the procedure but doing it in infancy had no benefit.

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Dh and I are of the belief that if it wasn't meant to be that way, it wouldn't of been there in the first place. We think of it is a major surgery that only needs to be perfomed on occasion, ex, when a boy/man needs it done because the foreskin is too tight and gets stuck. That is an issue. Same with not being able to get a full erection due to tight foreskin.  I'm happy my dh isn't and that our ped is knowledgable on it.

That's great that your dh now views it that way. :o)

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I thought everyone was circ'd until I had my first son, my fourth child. The mw asked about it and told us why she chose not to circ her sons and my dh said, "No way, not doing that to my boy." So we didn't circ any of our 4 boys. Dh is circ'd though, but only because he had a severe hypospadias and the foreskin was used as a skin graft to repair it when he was about 4. He remembers that and that was part of the reason he didn't want to circ the boys.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM
We circed our son but we aren't decided on future boys.
I knew it was optional but I've never seen an intact penis IRL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:52 PM

As far as we know, just about all the men and boys we know are circ'd.

I think I heard about it on CM and did some research on my own. I didn't even really know what a foreskin was back then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)