Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
The mainstream world really portrays circumcision as the norm. What was your first time learning that not every boy is circed? What made you decide to even look at the alternatives? And what was your deciding factor to go that route instead?

My first husband was intact. That was the first id ever known of a boy not being circed. It wasn't weird or ugly or gross. It just was what it was. We had 2 girls together, but we had agreed that any boys would be intact. Just because its ok and normal and there's not reason to circumcize them when we both know first hand its not a big deal.
I never really researched anything until after my second daughter. My mind was already made, intact period. But I wanted to know more. So I learned about the procedures and risks and why to stay intact and why one wouldn't want to..etc. the first baby I ever saw was a close friend came home to visit. She had a 3 month old son. She had to leave him with me at one point to run and pick up her husband for a bbq. I changed his diaper and he was intact. It was actually something that made me very proud of her. Here was this first time mama all alone (army wife) and she made and informed decision and didn't do something just because that's what you do. it was a bit of a struggle convincing my second husband that it was better. Eventually an article in mens health about a man who could not get an erection due to his circumcision ended his stand on it. Not worth it! It became a "why fix what isn't broken" thing for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
celestegood
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I have four intact sons because its a cosmetic procedure with no logical reasons for it to be done.

rfurlongg
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:59 PM
It is really only the norm in this country for non-Jewish men to be routinely cut. I did not grow up here so cutting my sons was never even a consideration.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM
My Bradley Method teacher mentioned that we should research it. My dh is circ'd, but my dad and brother are not. I asked my brother a lot of questions and did a lot of research and dh agreed that it is stupid to circ, so ds and any future boys will be intact!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

After having DD I got curious what intact looked liked & googled it. That was the first time I seen a whole penis.. I just thought "every baby is born perfect.".. But it was something I didnt really think too much about until I had kid. Growing up I knew boys where cut at birth & had heard intact was gross..

When I got pregnant I was scared it was a boy, my dh is circ & I knew him/family would expect the same for ds... So I started researching because I needed everything possible to know intact was better..  Thankfully DH researched & changed his mind. :) DS is 2mo & intact.

Im soooo glad my first kid wasnt a boy. We didnt know gender until birth & being a 1st time mom with no research & pressure to cut before leaving hosp i think I would have let it be done

rena_goldmoon
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Both my brothers are intact. My DH and his brother are not. Having found out we were having a boy we talked to both sets of parents about why or why not they had it done and then did lots of research.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Before expecting my first child, I only knew the male form to be one way (circ). It seemed.. difficult to understand.. why something which seemed so painful and altering would be happening to newborns. So I researched. The deciding factors were several things.. knowing foreskin was necessary and not simply extra skin, belief the decision belongs to the owner, and a strong desire to protect my baby from unnecessary pain.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I am still pregnant, but if we have a boy, he will not be circumcised. In Australia, it is rarely done for any reason aside from religious reasons. My husband isn't, and he said it is unheard of amongst his peers. 

I've always thought of it as a rather barbaric thing to do, to be honest. Even if we were in the US, and were feeling pressure from doctor or whomever, we wouldn't do it.

turtle68
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I grew up and live in a non circ'ing society...New Zealand and Australia.  It's  really not thought about after birth.  I didnt even know circumcision still existed when I had my first boy....I just thought it was one of those things that happened in America in the 50's LOL

thePBandJmom
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Before I had my son I didn't even know I had a choice, I thought it was just something the hospital did automaticly before you took your son home. I was nervous about it and I asked my midwife if they would take him and put him to sleep for it. She told me that if I wanted it done I would have to ask the peditrician but that he wouldn't be put to sleep for it. Then I found out it isn't covered by my insurance and so I asked the lady teaching my birth class if she knew how much it cost. She told me she didn't know because she hadn't chosen to mutulate her sons. I had never heard that it could be harmful but I didn't really do a lot of research because I couldn't afford it anyway. Now that I know more about it I am very glad I didn't do it!

mamelmel3
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:03 PM
I never even thought about it until my son was born and the nurse asked me to sign papers for him to be circumcised and I told her to get out! Why would I want that for my son? I have never regretted it and never will! I now have 2 boys, both intact and Happy! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)