Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

considering moving *Updated...PIOG (OT)

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM
  • 31 Replies

DH and I have mulled this idea over in various ways over the years, but it looks like moving might be the thing we need, and it would probably need to happen in the next couple years.

He can transfer within his company, and after one more year with them, they would pay for our move. We're currently in CA and the cost of living is really starting to take it's toll, among a few other reasons for us to move. I've lived in this area my whole life and have only visited Oregon and Washington briefly, so I don't have much information on other states. DH was in AmeriCorps for a year and moved around the east coast and southern states during that time, so he's got a little more info, but not much.

We have a few states that are options (where centers are located) and any information would be appreciated :) We're not only looking for house costs/cost of living, but what the weather is like, if they are nice areas, and how involved the state gets as far as homeschool (if anyone has experience).

Minnesota, Mankato

Alabama, Opelika

Tennessee, Murfreesboro

North Carolina

-Charlotte

-Wilmington

South Carolina

-North Charleston

-Columbia

-Elgin

-Greenville

Maine, Bangor

by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Mankato! :)

Lol if you can handle the extreme cold

were one of the more ap/natural friendly states
I dont homeschool but I know ppl that do there would be more info in.the natural minnesota mothers group
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM
For housing it depends on what youre looking for but u can look at real estate websites
Id say average 4bedroom.house is about 100-150k
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Yeah, I guess one of the girls dh was in AmeriCorps with was from there and he remembers her saying it was really cold lol. I will take note that it's good for crunchy stuff :)

Quoting peaches_04:

Mankato! :)

Lol if you can handle the extreme cold

were one of the more ap/natural friendly states
I dont homeschool but I know ppl that do there would be more info in.the natural minnesota mothers group

BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Albuquerque is interesting. It has a very diverse population and the weather is pretty nice. I live in southern New Mexico and where I am it's just hot and dry but Abq gets a good amount of snow in the winter but also has good hot summers. I think of it as the best of both worlds! :) There are lots of opportunities for education in New Mexico. We have a deep history of several different cultures. Home schooling wouldn't be any issue, I know several families who choose to do so. The only draw back would be crime rates. I really don't know for sure, but I think Abq has some problems there but it's probably no worse that other large cities. It just get attention state wide because it's our only major city. If you like nature and history then it could be a good choice for you. Also, it's sort of a "hippie" town so it wouldn't be hard to find a crunchy group to have things in common with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjrex87
by Mindy on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I live in Murfreesboro, TN and DH works in Franklin. We absolutely love it here. I don't know average cost of living, but the neighborhood we live in is brand-new and ranges from $229,990-$205,098 (3-5 bedrooms). There is no state income tax here, which is nice.

Murfreesboro is like a melting pot because people move here from all over for work. The job market here and in Franklin is great. The weather is usually BEAUTIFUL...Summers are not too hot (aside from that crazy heat wave we just had) and not too humid, winters are not too cold. And it's pretty sunny year-round.

There is so much to do here. We're 30 minutes south of Nashville and between 2-5 hours from Memphis, Chattanooga, and Gatlinburg. I'm not sure about homeschooling since my only child is only 4 months old...I know someone who is planning to homeschool and I can see how much she knows.

If you are planning to have more children, the most AMAZING midwife lives in Franklin. She is known all over middle TN and even has clients that drive up from Alabama to birth with her! http://www.tender-beginnings.com/

Again, LOVE it here!

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I'm bumping because I want to know about NC and SC we are interested in moving there

.sp4rkl3z.
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:09 AM
I live an hr north of Wilmington. It's gorgeous here. I love Wilmington. Its the Hollywood of the East Coast - tons of movies and shows are filmed in Wilmington. Lots of beach access. Mild winters, hot summers, lots of younger people in this area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:11 AM
I posted this in 20 somethings too and there's info on NC and NC in there. I think that's what we're leaning towards at this point.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I'm bumping because I want to know about NC and SC we are interested in moving there

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:29 AM

http://www.city-data.com/city/Mankato-Minnesota.html

What is it exactly that you are looking for in your new city?

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Aww, to bad Colorado isn't on your list (recent events not a reflection of our state...) Fairly moderate weather year round (normal winter temps in the.upper 30's -40's, summer 80's), reasonable cost of living, higher than average incomes, 300 days of sunshine, more hiking and city recreational trails than you know what to do with and a population that LOVES to enjoy the outdoors, not to mention the leslowest obesity rate in the US....I.could go on, lol.
Can you tell I've found my true home? (no, I'm not a native)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)