Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Labor @ home VS. hospital??

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM
  • 18 Replies

Which is better? Why?

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louzannalady
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on if you are high risk. If you are low-risk, it is MUCH safer to labor at home until you are in heavy, active labor (cannot talk through contractions) than it is to labor a long time at the hospital. Remember, the longer you are at the hospital, the more interventions they will push, the more germs you are needlessly exposed to and the more chances you have of ending up with a c-section. 

lundaylove
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM

HOME!

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Home-you can eat if you feel like it, move how you feel comfortable and you're number one person in the building.  Of course I might be biased because I think that birthing at home is better too :)

luvlymum2
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Home! You can do what you want, when and how you want to do it. Plus once you get to the hospital their clock starts ticking, and in most cases, if you dont have that baby or dialate in a certain amount of time then you are a c-section. Plus it's easier for them to push interventions, force you to stay in bed (which in turn will usually cause more interventions) and have "control" over you. Studies have proven time and again, that the more relaxed and comfortable you are, the easier, quicker, and more intervention free your birth is. I definitely say home until you think you are over half way :) 

doulala
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Since you are in this group, I will guess you want a natural experience...    ;-)

If so, also assuming you are having a healthy pregnancy, avoiding the hospital as long as possible / all together is ideal.      
From home you are more likely to progress better, have less pain, and avoid unnecessary risks.

If you want extra help you can have a birth doula with you~~

Are you taking classes, preparing, etc?
Have a birth plan?

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

Char07
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Home! I love laboribg at home, laboribg at the hospital sucks in many ways :(

ETA for me I hate being bothered, I love laboring while doing normal things, I feel like I'm doing something wrong by eating whatever I want, I feel rushed, I feel like an invalid. Those are the minor reasons I've dealt with so it doesn't include the big ones like push of interventions, on the labor clock, etc...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Trailerparkmom
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:13 PM

home, doing your own thing, coping without interference.  But I am biased, I stay home the whole birth lol

Danita42
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Home-few reasons: you can eat, do what you want and if you have a long labor at least some of it was at home. They dont seem to like women laboring long in a hospital. I labored at home for 13 and was in labor for a total of 37 hours and I really feel like if I had been in the hospital they would have pressured me and my mw more than what they did for a section.
DoulaGinny
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree!  When you are more relaxed b/c you are in your own familiar surroundings, whether its for the entire birth or half the labor, you will progress faster.  You are not pushed for time and not bothered by the cascade of interventions at home like you are in the hospital.  The longer you labor at home, the less time you will spend laboring in the hospital, if that is where you wish to go, and then you will not be on the labor clock for so long.

Also, having a birth doula is a great way to have less stress and a more active role in helping keep yourself calm and focused away from the pain.  Here are some stats on how a Doula can help you!

Having a Doula Will:

• Decrease in Episiotomies by 60%  
  • Decrease epidural use by 60%  
  • Decrease Cesarean birth by 50% 
  • Decrease pitocin/oxytocin use by 40% 
  • Decrease narcotics use by 30% 
  • Decrease length of labor by 25% 
  • Decrease forceps/vacuum extractor use by 30% 
  • Decrease postpartum depression by 40%
  • Decrease in negative rating for birth experience by 33%
  • INCREASE in successful VBAC births by having a strong advocate, who is well informed and trained to help women achieve that goal! 

Doula's can also increase initiation of breastfeeding with higher success rates for moms to breastfeed longer periods.

Quoting doulala:

Since you are in this group, I will guess you want a natural experience...    ;-)

If so, also assuming you are having a healthy pregnancy, avoiding the hospital as long as possible / all together is ideal.      
From home you are more likely to progress better, have less pain, and avoid unnecessary risks.

If you want extra help you can have a birth doula with you~~

Are you taking classes, preparing, etc?
Have a birth plan?

Doula Ginny Mills
~CAPPA Trained Labor Doula
& Childbirth/Parenting Educator
~B.A. Psychology-Child/Adolecsent Psych & Development
w/ Early Childhood Education/Marriage & Fam Counseling 
(Former Single Mom-ages 19-27 thru college)
 DoulaGinnyMills@gmail.com

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Home.... you'll be better able to manage your labor without distraction or interruption, feel more comfortable which can help labor progress more quickly, and avoid the cascade of interventions that is so typical of hospital births.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)