Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Has anyone ever dealt with this? (giving up meat)

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am married with 2 kids. We have always eaten meat. I am very careful about where we get our meat, it is always local and organic. However, lately the thought of eating it totally grosses me out. Cooking it, seeing it, makes it hard for me to eat. I don't know why, but it just hit me. 

Have any of you ladies became vegetarian while your spouse and kids did not? I am all about making your own choices. I don't want to push my choice on my entire family, especially since our meat is at least "good" meat and not packed full or hormones. However, I am thinking dinner would be complicated. I would obviously still cook meat for them and maybe just eat the sides, and make myself something else with protein?

I am overwhelmed thinking about cooking two separate dinners, which I don't want to do. So if any of you moms are vegetarian and your spouses are not, how do you do it? Any tips?

by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Char07
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this
What about somewhat fazing it out for everyone... Like picking X number of nights per week to have meat with dinner but other nights eating veg everyone (I know a lot of omnivorous families do this anyways), then there would at least be less nights where you would be finding something else for yourself (and you could maybe just borrow leftover proteins from other nights to make "meat nights" simpler. Although I know lots of families this wouldn't work for if like where the dh would be opposed to having any veg meals at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_Natural
by Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Lol, unfortunately that would be my husband! =\

My kids really only eat meat at dinner, lunch and breakfast we just usually don't eat meat because I am home with them during the day.

I just don't want to tell my husband he HAS to eat a certain way, KWIM? I wouldn't want him bossing me around. My mother always ate extremely healthy which I love, but sadly my dad still sneaks around eating McDonald's and junk and says "don't tell your mother!" haha. I wish my husband would eat like me, but if he won't I want him to feel comfortable in his choice as well, and not feel like he has to hide it from me. At least my home cooked meal is better for him than McDonald's I guess. Maybe I could get him to at least TRY a veggie meal...but honestly I don't think he'd go for it. We will see! :)

Quoting Char07:

What about somewhat fazing it out for everyone... Like picking X number of nights per week to have meat with dinner but other nights eating veg everyone (I know a lot of omnivorous families do this anyways), then there would at least be less nights where you would be finding something else for yourself (and you could maybe just borrow leftover proteins from other nights to make "meat nights" simpler. Although I know lots of families this wouldn't work for if like where the dh would be opposed to having any veg meals at all.

peaches_04
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Meat aversion is common in pregnancy:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:31 PM
We started scaling down how much meat we ate by adding more sides.... Veggies and or beans etc.

I think you could easily cook a big crockpot of beans to eat for the week or make something else in bulk on a day you have time so then you aren't cooking two dinners every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Yes! I couldn't stand the smell of it cooking!

Quoting peaches_04:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I eat some meat now, but I was a vegetarian for over ten years. What worked for me was having the meat cooked separately the majority of the time and getting my protein through other sources.  

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:12 AM

In my case, it was the opposite.. LOL 

Quoting peaches_04: Meat aversion is common in pregnancy  : )

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

LondonsMomma84
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:55 AM
2 moms liked this
I hate meat in pregnancy so I cook the meal the same as I normally would only the meat part is in a separate dish and my husband and son add it into their plates while Ai eat it without. I eat a lOT of beans during pregnancy. It cures nausea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_Natural
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:05 AM

LOL oh sometimes I wish. I don't think I am though I don't recall any slip ups in my charting, but I guess you never know. :)

Quoting peaches_04:

Mommy_Natural
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Great idea! I love beans and bean soup, so that is a good idea to make a big pot and have some each day. Thanks. :)

Quoting jconney80:

We started scaling down how much meat we ate by adding more sides.... Veggies and or beans etc.

I think you could easily cook a big crockpot of beans to eat for the week or make something else in bulk on a day you have time so then you aren't cooking two dinners every day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN