Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

my family and in laws are against us..

Posted by   + Show Post

so DF and I are going to start TTC soon and want everything natural. we are having a homebirth, cloth diapering, etc

well apparently trying to get a child to their 2nd birthday with only natural sugars is as big of a crime as us wanting to cloth diaper and breastfeed. at the first the issue was cloth diapering... well as of 15 minutes ago they were ok with cloth diapering but said i am selfish for wanting to breastfeed and not allow the child any sugar except natural until age of 2..

maybe i just need to exclude them from anything in the childs life until the age of of 2 or something cuz apparently our style is wrong...

any suggestions or ideas is appreciated

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Replies (21-25):
blg5484
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:21 AM

i did no sugar (except her 1st bday cake (no icing)) til DD was 15 months DS is 9 months im trying to do the same for some reason people think kids need to have sugar crap my in laws are BAD about trying to give junk and crap

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:21 AM

I honestly just can't stand people who shove their opinions on me, as if my child was theirs. To be frank, I have a hard time being polite when faced with that situation. I have flat out told my own mother that when she gives birth to this baby, she can make all of those decisions. 

As far as the in-laws go, I would ask my husband to talk to them. That's something I'm not comfortable with. Thankfully, my in-laws live fairly far away and we don't see or talk to them.

jlocsgirl
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Just ignore them... My in-laws are exactly the same way! I told them straight up, it's my way or the highway. If they want to continue to act that way, just tell them you will keep your distance. I bet they will stop so they can see baby. If not, THEY are the selfish ones. I've gotten to the point that I don't care if I upset someone. I will raise my son how I see fit. They either except it or I won't come around.

Kristenn
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Ugh, right?!! I can't stand that!! When my oldest was only a few weeks old I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled and I didn't know if I was going to be able to handle holding him and nursing afterwards and so I had pumped bottles for him. No one wanted to take the time to try and get him to take the bottle!!! He instantly snuggled up to my breast, quit crying, and nursed! I was drugged up from the meds still and probably wasn't the best idea, but I didn't know what else to do. I was 18 and I couldn't focus enough to hold a baby and a bottle straight. I could hover sit in a recliner and let my boob fall in his mouth while someone made sure he didn't fall out of my lap!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Yes it does, pumped bottles can be given, but damn whats the big deal with people feeding newborns sigh...the novelty wears off and people prop bottles and get the babies to hold them in the long run anyways

Quoting a_feds_love:

because it doesn't allow for others to feed

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

How is bfing selfish i am confused by that statement

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Selfish for whom?  The grandparents who want to bottle feed and give baby sugar drops?   Just smile and nod. No sense in getting your blood pressure up until after the baby is born. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)