Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Seriously considering a membrane sweep. :(

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:55 AM
  • 18 Replies
I don't normally post. I'm more of a lurker. But I need some wisdom.

I'm currently somewhere between 40w 2d and 40w 6d. And I want this baby in the outside world! I have been dedicated to making this pregnancy / birth as natural as possible since just after my son was born. And I've done pretty well so far with what I have to work with (being in Indiana and being diagnosed as having GD). I have an appointment with my midwife today and and seriously considering asking for a membrane sweep. :( I told myself after my son I wouldn't do that again. I had 2 with him. One at 38 w and one at 39w. Neither of which did anything but cause some irregular light contractions. And to top it off it was extremely uncomfortable. But I was desperate to get him out, I was miserable with the 60# I had gained and having BP issues throughout the pregnancy. The OB was also talking induction if I didn't have him by his due date. Ski went with what she said would help. I didn't know any better at the time. But now I do and I'm torn. On one hand I really don't want to do anything to force him out before he is ready, on the other hand I want him to be on the outside so I can hold him and stuff. :( I'm not miserable this time around like I was with DS1. I have only gained 13# and my BP is under control. But my hips are killing me. I can no longer sleep in bed with my husband (I realize this won't change when the baby is born, babies don't sleep. :) ).
Sorry for being so all over the place. I woke up and wuss of my hips :(
I guess I'm just looking for some encouraging words or whatever you can offer.

TY
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LondonsMomma84
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:12 AM
Sounds like you know what to do. Baby needs to come when he's ready and a little hip discomfort shouldn't be the reason you rush him. You can do this! Only a short while left!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

sweeping your membranes wont help. go see a chiro get adjusted, get a massage, just relax. baby will come soon. Most babies come before 41wks. so id imagine your baby will come soon

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Sweeping membranes only works if your body and baby are ready...i bet it was too early the other times. I personally think around 41 weeks i would have a sweep..i think
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_muffin_
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I second the chiro idea. Only you can decide what is right for you, but try the chiro first. My 3rd baby was 10 days late and I was miserable, but evenutally she came on her own. Hang in there momma, every hour the baby is on the inside its getting healthier!

Autumn355
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:26 PM
U could always try castor oil before the membrane sweep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsrobin
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:32 PM
I like the chiropractor idea. I would also add in epsom salt baths. They help my hip pain a lot. I'm 36 weeks and my kid is already dropped so I have hips going out, extreme pain while walking, can't sleep on I've hip more than a couple hours.

You can do it mama. Think positive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I'm stuck on the Indiana part. Where'd you find a midwife here?

VintageWife
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Okay, stalked your profile...lol. If you're in Greenwood and like your midwife, can you ask her how far she is willing to travel for clients?

Emadele
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:17 PM
I like her a lot. But she works under an OB. So she only delivers at community south and *maybe* community west. I WISH I could find one that would do a home birth since all of the birth centers have closed that I know of.

Quoting VintageWife:

Okay, stalked your profile...lol. If you're in Greenwood and like your midwife, can you ask her how far she is willing to travel for clients?

Emadele
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Thanks for all your input and encouragement.
At my BPP today my fluid measured low-ish (7.7 compared to the 19 I had just thursday) and my placenta showed some calcification. After careful considderation and discussion with my midwife we decided to do the sweep. In hopes to get things moving before Thursday's NST and BPP and possiblity of induction.
On a side note I have been contracting on and off for about 2 weeks. And was at 4cm and 80% at today's appt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN