Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Calm Child herbal formula and breastfeeding.

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:11 PM
  • 8 Replies

Does anyone have any experience with Calm Child herbal syrup? I'm considering it for my 6 y.o. to see if it helps with his anxiety and overactiveness.

I'd also like to know if it is okay for me to take while breastfeeding. I've started getting pms irritability even though my period hasn't come back yet. I thought it might be worth trying it myself, but I wasn't sure if it's safe.It says you can give it to children as young as one. My baby is 5.5mos. and 21+lbs, so weight-wise he's as big as a one year old. It seems like he would be fine with anything he'd get from it through my bm, but the formula has anise and licorice in it, which I've heard might be contraindicated. 

Here's the list of ingredients: Proprietary Extract Blend: Chamomile Flower, Jujube Seed, Hawthorn Berry, Catnip Aerial Parts, Lemon Balm Aerial Parts, Long Pepper Fruit, Licorice Root, Amla Fruit, Magnesium Taurinate, Calcium Carbonate, Gotu Kola Aerial Parts, and essential oils of Anise Seed, Cassia Bark, and Clove Fruit.

Thanks!

Charity

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
VintageWife
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Bumping because I'm not sure.

ashuiren
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Thanks for the bump!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I think it would be GREAT for you 6 year old..

YOU on the other hand can NOT use it, Lemon balm lowers supply

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Never heard of it. 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

ashuiren
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Thanks Tabi! Do you know if lemon balm is a total supply killer? I wouldn't want to risk losing my supply, but even with block feeding I still get engorged at times, leak lots and have OAL that chokes my little guy if he's not ready for it. If the lemon balm's effect is mild, it might be beneficial in small doses. I wouldn't risk it without more research, though.

As to my six year old, I gave him a dose earlier this evening and it seems to have helped with bedtime. I'm hoping it wasn't just a coincidence. :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:01 AM

kellymom has great info on it..it says it downs supply and moms often use it to dry up, google kellymom herbs

Quoting ashuiren:

Thanks Tabi! Do you know if lemon balm is a total supply killer? I wouldn't want to risk losing my supply, but even with block feeding I still get engorged at times, leak lots and have OAL that chokes my little guy if he's not ready for it. If the lemon balm's effect is mild, it might be beneficial in small doses. I wouldn't risk it without more research, though.

As to my six year old, I gave him a dose earlier this evening and it seems to have helped with bedtime. I'm hoping it wasn't just a coincidence. :)

ashuiren
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Thanks! I was on Kellymom earlier, but was so busy looking for the anise and licorice that I missed lemon balm on the list. I'll be staying away from it. I'd rather oversupply than to have to worry about not having enough.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:11 AM

never heard of it...bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)