Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Am I supposed to have activities planned?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM
  • 16 Replies

I kind of just let my DD (3) and my DS (14mths) just run around playing and screaming and carrying on... should I be more structured with them? Any ideas of what I could do? I'm actually REALLY bad at having "planned" activities. Oh, just for reference when giving suggestions, I do have a backyard, I don't have a good park nearby, and I don't have a car.

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hapababies
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:52 PM
My boys are 1 and 2, so it's hard to do structured activities with them. So what I do is plan some easy open ended activities. For example, I have some outside, washable, non toxic Crayola paint. I put a bit in a cup, got 2 paint brushes and allowed the boys to paint rocks. Funny enough, the 1 year old got really into it and the 2 year old was done after 1 rock. Also, l will periodically get the bubbles out or start kicking a ball around just to see if they are interested in playing with me. I started to try to teach my 2 year old how to catch a ball.
So I plan some activities but mostly it's open ended free play.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Just provide opportunities for "structured play" like craft type things. I made colored rice in a plastic bin that I can pull out, or a ball pit in a kiddie pool. There's a website that will email you activities everyday based on your kids ages - I'll come back and post it.

But they learn through playing and exploring. It just helps to have new things to do that you can pull out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Productiveparenting.com is the site
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaxMomma78
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Are u,on pinterest? U can find a ton of activities there!. Also google playdo and gak recipes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 2:21 AM
Maybe do a daily theme like monday baking, tuesday nature exploring, wed arts and crafts day ect

Or education hour
like a color of the day scavenger hunt find as many (insert color) items in your house as you can
Same with shapes
Pick a letter of the day write it with chalk,marker ect say the letter what sound it makes, some easy words that start with that letter
Ect

Id also continue to encourage the independant play though it helps develope their imagination
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

you dont have to have structured activities. we do them only occasionally and my kids are still growing and learning and thriving just fine =)

Oostera
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I love these ideas but I'm also very happy that no one is really "structured". I saw a post made by a mom of twins and triplets. Her babies are 2 and one consecutively and she just goes insane! Reading, writing, computer skills, etc. I was starting to worry that I was slacking huge!

catholicmamamia
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I would not be too concerned about structure to our routines or activities unless you have a child who needs and thrives on it.. KWIM? I think there are many of us who, without forcing the issue at all, kind of naturally settle into a routine which fits our individual families and lifestyles.  :o) 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

catholicmamamia
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this

You said it, right there..  :o)  

Quoting Oostera: I love these ideas but I'm also very happy that no one is really "structured". I saw a post made by a mom of twins and triplets. Her babies are two and one consecutively and she just goes insane! Reading, writing, computer skills, etc. I was starting to worry that I was slacking huge!

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM

We do a lot of cooking, baking, and crafts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN