Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Migraine help!!

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM
  • 6 Replies
I have been suffering from chronic headaches for months. I have finally decided they are migraine, not sinus like I first suspected. I am pregnant, but even if I wasn't, I would still want to avoid drugs at all cost. What can I do to naturally treat/prevent migraines?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
slashteddy
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM

-Drink PLENTY of water (at least two liters a day). Dehydration can cause headaches.
-Make sure you're eating enough. Try to spread out your regular meals into six small meals, so your blood sugar isn't constantly spiking and dropping.
-Massage can help. Sometimes headaches can be caused by improper blood flow to the head. Try massaging the back of your neck a little. (I don't know how accurate this is but my grandma always recommended it for me and it worked sometimes.)
-Don't skimp on your prenatals!
-Cold or cool showers might also help.

Good luck!

peaches_04
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I like to make ice packs with long white rice and peppermint oil
Then freeze them turn the lights out and pass out with one over my eyes/head
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Visit a chiropractor! Or acupuncture helps too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedToBeMe
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM

I'v had migraines for longer then I can remember; the only things not up already would be exercise regularly & cut down on processed foods.

This plus the water & going to the chiropractor is what my doctor suggested year ago & it really has help cut them down significantly

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I have had migraines for years. They seem to be far worse during pregnancy. A wheat bag/rice pack heated in the microwave and a few drops of peppermint oil rubbed on my temples seems to help me more than anything else, when I get one. Sometimes a nice hot shower helps, too.

MommaForever007
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Thanks guys :) i'll get right on making myself a couple of peppermint oil rice packs asap, and finding a good chiropractor. Actually, come to think of it, my midwife has a chiropractor on hand that she recommends all her mothers. Maybe I'll get his number. Now do I do chiropractic care only when I get a migraine or regularly to prevent them? I get these headaches about once a month. Usually they only last a day or two but obviously not this time. I plan on beginning a headache journal to try and figure out my triggers but that will have to start next headache since I am already so far into this one...how many liters are in a gallon? I try and drink a gallon of water a day. I've not done well recently but that is usually my goal. If I meet that goal, will it be enough or should I up it more?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)