Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healing after natural childbirth- how long is too long?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM
  • 12 Replies
I had my first unmedicated birth on July 15th, and was wondering how long is too long for my lady-parts to feel more 'normal'. I've had two previous vaginal births, but this is my first unmedicated, so I'm not sure what to expect as far as recovery time.

A little backstory- after 4 hrs of labor and 2 min of pushing, I had a beautiful 10 lb 2 oz baby girl. I tore my perineum and up into my birth canal, as well as a diagonal tear upwards toward my left hip. I was stitched up on the bed, no stirrups or anything, with about 6 stitches on the lower tear and one on the diagonal tear. Three days later, the diagonal repair started to hurt, but I was hoping it was normal and would go away. By day five it was unbearable, so I called the birthing center and they had me come in. They checked me out in the exam chair and what had looked like a small tear that required one stitch was actually about an inch and a half long tear requiring six stitches. Stitches right after giving birth hurt. Stitches five days after that hurt even worse!! It was miserable!

At our three week visit I had some granulation tissue cauterized with silver nitrate- also no fun! Now, a week later, things are feeling better but not normal. I can't sit on the edge of the couch, it's uncomfortable to wipe sometimes, and it hurts to cough, sneeze and laugh. When I lay on my side my whole groin hurts like a mug. Also, when I feel my perineum and surrounding tissue it feels really hard.

Is this all normal? I'm sure practically shot-putting a 10 pounder is going to do some damage, but is this anything I should worry about?
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I had a baby about that size and that quickly, but I was fine right away.     I waited to pass the placental healing site was safe of course though--

Not normal, was this a hospital birth?

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I would just continue to take it easy. Act like you just have a c-section (major surgery). It can take a while before everything starts to feel "normal" again and you may also have a new type of normal to get used to.

toopicky429
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:43 PM
If you had that much tearing it's probably normal to feel like you are feeling. I had one child with an epidural, and one without. My healing time was the same, but I had a very small tear both times. I felt great in about a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trish2tew
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM
I didn't tear quite that bad with my first unmedicated VBAC. DD#2 was 10lbs 8oz and I had a 2nd and 3rd degree tears. I don't think my lady bits felt totally normal until 2-3 months PP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmyminiwheats
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Quoting doulala:

I had a baby about that size and that quickly, but I was fine right away.     I waited to pass the placental healing site was safe of course though--

Not normal, was this a hospital birth?

It was at a birthing center.
aimhawk
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

It took me 4 months to feel completely normal and that was with no tearing. Well, they said I didn't tear, but it sure as hell felt like it. I hope your feel better soon!!! That is a lot to go through, but I bet you would do it all over again to have that baby girl! The things we do for our children! Lol.

CjEmmemommy
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:15 PM
I also had a 4 hour labor with a 9 pound baby but I didn't tear.
I felt fine right away but I think it would be diff, with your tearing.
I hope you feel back to normal soon!
Congratulations
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM

My stitches hurt for 5 weeks.  Sex and moderate acitvity hurt for months after.  Remember that stitches are holding the skin together during times when it would naturally spread apart.  Have you been taking it easy (like laying/sitting down most of the day)?  I would use a peri bottle with warm water instead of wiping at this point.

luvmyminiwheats
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM
I have a 4 and 5 year old, so I'm not able to rest too much. We've even been getting out of the house like normal too. I don't hurt constantly, but I definitely thought it wouldn't still be an issue at all by now. I'll go back to using the peri bottle and see if that helps!!

Quoting TrentsMom84:

My stitches hurt for 5 weeks.  Sex and moderate acitvity hurt for months after.  Remember that stitches are holding the skin together during times when it would naturally spread apart.  Have you been taking it easy (like laying/sitting down most of the day)?  I would use a peri bottle with warm water instead of wiping at this point.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah if you've resumed normal daily activity then it's probably going to take a few more weeks.  I had that problem last time-I had a NICU baby and was constantly going back and forth from the hospital and it took a long time to finally go back to normal but eventually everything should be fine.

Quoting luvmyminiwheats:

I have a 4 and 5 year old, so I'm not able to rest too much. We've even been getting out of the house like normal too. I don't hurt constantly, but I definitely thought it wouldn't still be an issue at all by now. I'll go back to using the peri bottle and see if that helps!!

Quoting TrentsMom84:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)