Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Unintentional CIO... Car seat advice?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM
  • 39 Replies

So, I just got home from an awful car ride in which both baby and myself were in tears...

My little guy is 11 weeks old and absolutely hates his car seat... or the car... or both...  Whenever I put him in the car, he always fusses or cries or screams for a bit, but then generally falls asleep.  I feel terrible listening to him cry back there, but it usually lasts for only about 5 minutes and then he's out.

Well, today I had plans to make a trip to Target.  The store is about 30-40 minutes away depending on traffic.  20 minutes into the ride, my poor baby boy was still crying/screaming away in the back seat with no signs of slowing down, so I chose to just turn the car around and come back home.  For the next 15 minutes as I tried to race home as quickly as possible, he continued to cry/scream on and off.

I of course felt terrible and started crying myself, feeling helpless and unable to soothe LO while driving.  I am not a proponent of CIO and I feel awful that I am essentially doing it in the car... allowing him to cry without coming in to hold/feed/rock/etc.

I just don't know what to do to help calm him down in the car.  I stay home as much as possible, but have to go out at some point.  I try to get him asleep and put him in the car seat sleeping... this works sometimes, but other times he wakes up as soon as I strap him in.

I am hoping that this is a phase he will grow out of?  Any advice or tips that anyone might have about keeping baby happy in the car would be greatly appreciated :)

Mama to baby boy Lincoln... born May 19, 2012

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM
2 moms liked this
In those rare cases with lily I would pull over somewhere and boob her to sleep or to point of calmness then head home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM
He'll probably out grow it.

With DD we had a little mirror to see her and when she was a few months old she learned she could see us in the mirror. She was fine after that. She could see who ever was driving's face.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nturley07
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM
2 moms liked this
That's just one is just one of those times when you are in between a rock and a hard place.
I personally just try to get to where I am going, but if it becomes to stressful and I can pull over somewhere safely thats what I would do. Even if it's just long enough to get them calmed down for a few minutes then keep going and get situated once you arrive at your destination.
It will get better Momma ;) and it is important for you to get out every now and then too ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedToBeMe
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

My 13 month old was the same way. I felt so bad b/c where I live everything is at least a 15 minute car trip:(

All I did was try to limit the amount of trips I made & made sure to leave after he had nursed to sleep(like you said, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't). I hope he grows out of it soon

Duquesne
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My babe is the same but unless you're not even talking to him, you're not making him cry it out. Hugs. Cars are hard! :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Bring toys, binkie, the car mirrors are great and if lo doesn't calm down then find a safe place to pull over and soothe. Try nursing, toys, what have you (sometimes a lil attention is all that's needed) and drive on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liebevoll_mami
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:03 PM

what carseat do you have? (weird question but it does make a world of difference) and i agree with the other ladies. you CAN pull over for a few minutes and get him calmed down. 

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM
2 moms liked this

It's a phase at that age that they usually outgrow

make trips by yourself only when necessary

make sure he's not overly tired, hungry or hot

pull over at a safe place and nurse

soulofsunmama
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, this. Eventually they will grow out of it.
:-)

Quoting peaches_04:

In those rare cases with lily I would pull over somewhere and boob her to sleep or to point of calmness then head home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GavinsMom101310
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM
have you tried the radio? I don't know what kind of music you like but soft country always calmed DS. or maybe a lullaby cd...worked for us until he was about 4-5mo and we got him a toy bar to look at/play with. good luck momma. It will get better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)