Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Using disposable diapers for a few weeks and then using cloth diapers

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM
  • 24 Replies

Is this a good idea? I was thinking of using disposables for a few weeks while my soon to be born boy grows up a bit more to properly fit in cloth diapes (I already got 16 Kawaii diapers).

by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I used Rumparooz or prefolds and thirsties duo wraps for the beginning.  My son was 8 lbs at birth and had no problem fitting into them.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:49 PM
I would say play it by ear. You might want to see how they fit on him. I only have 1 kawaii and I didn't get it until ds was 11 months old. So I'm not sure how it would fit on a newborn. Maybe look on craigslist and see of there is anyone selling newborn cloth for cheap.
You may want to do cloth during the day and sposies at night, depending on your energy level.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anime.princess
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM

The Kawaii diapers I got are one size, kinda like the Fuzzybunz or Bumgenious 4.0.  These are the ones I got.

JaxMomma78
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM

i did disposables for the 1st cpl months then switched to cloth.  and i still only cloth part time.

to be honest, for me cloth diapers were a bit overwhelming and very new to me.  and it was hard enough and overwhelming enough when you have a newborn at home.  i waited till i "got the hang of"everything till i was ready. 

so go at your own pace, whatever you are comfortable with.  the disposables that i do use are chemical free and leave a better "footprint" than the bigger named ones.  we use seventh generation and love them. 

EthansMomma2010
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:52 PM
The kawaii one size I have run smaller than other os dipes. Just try them on every week until they fit. I'm still on the fence about cding from birth next time. I like the idea but since I will be trying to bf and babywear too I think I might get overwhelmed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anime.princess
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

The kawaii one size I have run smaller than other os dipes. Just try them on every week until they fit. I'm still on the fence about cding from birth next time. I like the idea but since I will be trying to bf and babywear too I think I might get overwhelmed

I'm doing both.  This lady in here sells ring slings (she also has an ebay store).

https://www.facebook.com/SlingBaby12

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 12:39 AM
I use disposables until the cord falls off. Cost wise (and chemical wise) its well worth it to invest in some inexpensive infant prefolds and covers for the first couple months. There are always good finds on CL around here too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanut06
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM

We had to use sposies for the first couple months with my 2nd dd (35 weeker, under 4.5 pounds). Then we chose to use them for about the first week with her little brother (7.5 pounds) because we had been given a few packs. This time, though, I'm sewing (attempting!!) newborn diapers so that maybe we can cloth from the beginning.

Cloth doesn't have to be all or nothing. Think of the difference it would make everywhere (landfill, pocketbooks, cuteness!) if every diapering family used just one cloth diaper a day! That's 365 diapers a year, or at least 10 jumbo packs of diapers, that each family wouldn't have to buy. Like a pp said, just keep trying them on baby till they fit comfortably. One-size diapers can fit one baby weighing 8 pounds and not fit the next sibling until 10 pounds.

Congrats on the decision to cloth diaper!

Yep, I'm one of those people :)

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I used sposies until the umbilical cord came off

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM
I used sposies for the first 6 mos or so, but we moved 1500 miles when DD was 4 mos so things were a little crazy for a while. Now we are 100% cloth.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN