Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Just curious: your opinions on hair coloring

Posted by   + Show Post
I want to "poll the mommas" who consider themselves somewhere on the "natural living" spectrum.
Would you color your hair?
Would you do it just to cover grays?
Would you stick to just natural tones, highlights, lowlights?
Would you go for fun, funky colors? Either full head, or partial?

Just before I got pregnant (almost 3 years ago) I REALLY wanted to try a drastic wild color. I've never been a "made up" girl, I wear makeup and "do" my hair for job hunting and special occassions, not to get the mail or take my son to the park. I don't think I'd go for anything crazy (especially since I'm about to be job hunting again) but I kind of want to get some highlights or a golden/red tint, just to have a "spruced up" look I don't have to work on everyday. But I've been trying to go more natural as we are able to afford it, and I'm sort of at-odds with myself. We have other prioreties that need to come first in any case, but maybe for my birthday in October. I almost never do anything that's really just for me, especially if it involves spending money, and darn it, I'd like to be pampered just a little.

Anyway, thank you for reading and replying!! :-) hope everyone is having a wonderful month!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM
Replies (31-40):
KatieCat2003
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM
So, I'm thinking chamomile and a berry tea, for the lightening and red tint. I'm still not really set on it, but I have chamomile and some other teas in our cupboard so no real cost!!

If I do decide to do it, I'll post before and afters. But I'm not hoping for a very drastic change, so who knows how it'll go!! :-) it I can get bf to help I want to do chamomile highlights on the top in sections, then a berry all over, but if he won't help (didn't sound enthused yesterday) it'll just be all at once, all over, I have trouble doing stuff with my own hair... Something about not being able to stand behind my head to have a better angle, lol!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 20, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I have dyed my hair before...woud do it again just for the heck of it but as a teacher I can t go too wild.  I dont have any issue with it though.  I do havea  friend whose hair is pink or blue always, she has a hard time getting respect from others, especially at schools and things like that

cpflum08
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome I will, thanks!!!

Quoting KatieCat2003:

Go read the pages they linked on the first page, and the links off of those as well, I learned a lot really quickly!! Henna is suppose to be great for grey coverage!!

Quoting cpflum08:

Ok mamas tell me more about this henna?!?! Would it cover grays? My hair is a dark brown with lots and lots of silver and white hairs. Where do you get it? Is it like coloring your hair?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrittBratt
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM
I dye my hair fairly often. Usually an auburn/ burgundy color.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katydid25
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM

If you decide to go to a salon and pamper yourself, ask if they have (or can get) Pravana hair color. It's plant based and free of parabens, sulfites, phalates and all that commonly used "yucky stuff." The color lasts a really long time! I hadn't done much with my hair for a few years and my hair stylist begged to do something fun with it. She told me to research Pravana and see if it passed my tests. It did and I absolutely love it!! 

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I don't color my hair anymore. I did for about 6 years, and in that span, I had blonde (bleached) highlights, and also used henna (brown and red).

If I ever want to color it in the future, I will use the henna again. It's time consuming, but so worth it.

catholicmamamia
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:07 AM

fingers crossed

Quoting KatieCat2003: If I do decide to do it, I'll post before and afters. But I'm not hoping for a very drastic change, so who knows how it'll go!! :-)  

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Gingerella
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:18 AM
That's one thing I struggle with on the crunchy spectrum. I dye my hair....but only 2-3 times a year. I can't afford salon prices and the 2-3 hours it takes any more than that. I like funky though right now I'm tame. I have done purple, blue and pink. Right now the under side is red tinted and the top is blonde.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieCat2003
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Lol, I'd love to have it professionally done, but we can't swing ANY extras right now. Tea and herbs we already have in the cabinet are toatlly doable though!! ;-)

Quoting katydid25:

If you decide to go to a salon and pamper yourself, ask if they have (or can get) Pravana hair color. It's plant based and free of parabens, sulfites, phalates and all that commonly used "yucky stuff." The color lasts a really long time! I hadn't done much with my hair for a few years and my hair stylist begged to do something fun with it. She told me to research Pravana and see if it passed my tests. It did and I absolutely love it!! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:57 PM
I don't ever dye my hair. I don't want to have to keep up with it when it starts growing out lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)