Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No urge to push? (birth story)

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi all! Somewhat new to the group.

I had my daughter nearly 4 months ago (4/26). She was 2 days early, weighing in at 8lbs11oz and 21 inches. A wonderful, quiet, and fast delivery in a hospital with my widwife (who I prayed would be on call, and not one of the OBs!). My 2nd baby, but 1st natural delivery.

I labored at home for awhile. Real labor hit at 7am (I had prodromal labor for 3 days prior...) The contractions were pretty strong, but not coming any closer to 5 mins apart. I eventually decided to go in, incase all of a sudden things moved quickly. DH and I arrived at the hospital at 1230pm. I was 6cm. Contractions were very strong and all in my back. I labored in the dark in the room w/ music. Midwife would stand by quietly and offer support when needed. She offered to bring in a lady to give me accupuncture on my lower back -- they inserted water under the skin and it took the edge off my back labor. The contractions were starting to make me lose my concentration. I started to feel "out of control", not handling it well like I had been all along. It was around 330 and I hadn't been checked since admission. Widwife asked if I had the urge to push. I had been waiting for that urge to happen, but the pain in my back was so overpowering. So, I told her I wasn't sure. I finally laid down (I had been sitting on a birthing ball hunched over the bed inbetween contractions and stood up hunched over the bed during a contraction) and she checked me. I was complete, aside from a lip of cervix left. I got ready to push and when I finally did push, that's when I did have the urge. When I pushed, my body took over and it was... crazy! Amazes me that our bodies can do that. But I am now wondering if the back labor made me not recognize the pressure and urge to push? Or do some woman not get that initial urge?

Also, do some of you forget the pain of delivery? I rememeber my labor and the intensity of it. I remember most of the delivery and know it was painful... But I was on such a high... I can't remember how that pain felt. I know I was in pain, but forget the pain. After she was born, I realized I had screamed during a handful of times while pushing. But I wasn't realizing I was doing it at the time. I'm not sure if any of this is making sense or if any can relate? Lol.

Thanks! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvlymum2
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Everyone forgets the pain. That's the way we are designed. We know it hurt we just can't remember how LOL. I have always gotten the urge and I've had epidurals. I am not sure though, I would say that its very possible, although technically you can be complete for a long time without being ready to push. I would say that if you had not pushed at all, the contractions would have made the baby hit that point where your body would have done it by itself. I think you just helped it along a bit and made baby hit that point quicker:) I guess we will see...I am due October with this baby and I am having my first natural waterbirth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

it's pretty common w/ back labor to not feel the urge to push. 

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM

The memory fades over time, promise!  You don't forget but it does fade.  Know that if you choose to have more children there are things you can do to avoid back labor(I had back labor w/ 2 of my 4).  Chiropractic, tips from the Spinning Babies website, etc.  Birthing pool also took a lot of that pressure off my back during labor.  Lifting your belly with your hand during labor helps too.  What also helped me was Hypnobabies, I studied it w/ my last 2 children and that helped me feel a lot less pain

lundaylove
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM

there are some women that wont get the initial urge but like you, the urge will take over once you give it a lil jump start. so its not uncommon. 

as for the pain... you forget some of it, some you will never forget. 

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

You probably would've felt the urge eventually-my guess is baby was just a little off in position and moving around/pushing got it in the right spot.

I couldn't remember the pain after a few weeks-if I could I wouldn't be pregnant again :)

Aslen
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I had my first totally drug free labor with my youngest 6 years ago yesterday.... I still remember the pain lmao! I also remember the feeling i had when he was born, and knowing there were no interventios.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Demerise
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Yes, exactly! It really is amazing...

Best wishes with your water birth! How exciting! :) I wanted one myself. The brand new hospital I delivered at, never had any installed! And now they are in the midst of getting contractors in to see about having them added to some rooms. Maybe I will get that water birth if I have more children in a couple years,lol.

Quoting luvlymum2:

Everyone forgets the pain. That's the way we are designed. We know it hurt we just can't remember how LOL. I have always gotten the urge and I've had epidurals. I am not sure though, I would say that its very possible, although technically you can be complete for a long time without being ready to push. I would say that if you had not pushed at all, the contractions would have made the baby hit that point where your body would have done it by itself. I think you just helped it along a bit and made baby hit that point quicker:) I guess we will see...I am due October with this baby and I am having my first natural waterbirth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Demerise
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:43 PM
Congrats on your pregnancy!

Quoting TrentsMom84:

You probably would've felt the urge eventually-my guess is baby was just a little off in position and moving around/pushing got it in the right spot.

I couldn't remember the pain after a few weeks-if I could I wouldn't be pregnant again :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Demerise
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Good to know! I thought maybe I was just a weirdo. ;)

Quoting lundaylove:

there are some women that wont get the initial urge but like you, the urge will take over once you give it a lil jump start. so its not uncommon. 

as for the pain... you forget some of it, some you will never forget. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I had my first natural labor five weeks ago. I remember the pain, but I don't remember it ever being unbearable (except the twenty minutes the had the band on my belly when I was admitted and I sat in bed). I was in the water pretty much the whole time I was in active labor. I slept between contractions and ate breakfast 15 minutes before he was born! And I remember the exact moment my body started pushing. It wasn't an urge to push, for me. It was just a change in my contractions as THEY were the ones pushing. The contractions just started going from the top of my uterus down. I did not scream at all, I did moan- A LOT. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)